cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe Beck should be the #1 QB in the conference. I also believe that BYU has a legitimate shot at the conference title. It will hinge on the defense.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I agree Steel.

It hinges on the defense and special teams.

Special Teams have been bad for several seasons running now. I'm tired of having the "Sure handed" receiver back to return kicks.

It's time to put a playmaker back and I can't think of a better way for McKay Jacobsen to come right in and make an immediate impact than to be our primary kick returner. This kids highlight videos are fun to watch. He's got speed and jukeability.

In terms of defense, I know a lot of Cougar fans who think that next season's defense is going to be better. I just don't have that faith and will have to see it on the field before I'm willing to predict more than 7 wins.

Especially with our brutal road schedule.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:38 PM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on, it's Dick Harmon. It's his job to pump up BYU sports in the most favorable light as possible. Remember his article the day after the game against USC in 2004? If I hadn't seen the game, I would have thought BYU had won.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #14
JazzyUte

JazzyUte is an unknown quantity at this point

The defense will be a factor, as I think that poses a HUGE problem for BYU. This isn't the old WAC where offense ruled the roost and a team's defense was an afterthought.

In the late 70s up until around the mid-90s, BYU could get away with just outscoring teams. However as the defenses in the conference became better, BYU began struggling a bit more.

The MWC is not like the WAC in the regard that many programs actually play defense now.

Colorado State
Utah
New Mexico
TCU
Wyoming

All these programs have, or have had in the recent past, good defenses. Colorado State, New Mexico, TCU and Utah all should have the best defenses in the conference this year. Will BYU be able to outscore these teams?

I'm not so sure.

For what's it's worth, this is how I see BYU finishing next year:

@ Boston College - L
@ Arizona (I think this is an away game) - L
San Diego State - W
@ Colorado State - L
UNLV - W
Wyoming - W
@ TCU - L
@ Air Force - W
New Mexico - W
@ Utah - L

* Two games have yet to be scheduled.

5-5 record, with a shot at 7-5 or 6-6, or 5-7.

Sounds harsh, I know, but I think it's possible.

Conference record would be:

5-3.
JazzyUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds reasonable.

I hope for much better but logic dictates your predictions to be closer to reality than one would hope.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #16
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default Re: Can someone explain to me Dick Harmon's latest article

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I also believe I read somewhere that Mel Kiper rated him as the #5 junior QB in the country last year. If Mel Kiper thinks the guy is good, then I'll take his word for it.
Say, how the heck IS John Walsh these days?
Are you implying that Mel Kiper is not an expert? I'm not sure there many people alive that are more qualified to evaluate college football talent than Mel Kiper.
I'm implying that taking anybody's word for anything is not an error-free process.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One of the funniest things to me

is how Ute fans react towards Dick Harmon. Even funnier is how they react when somebody says that John Beck is the best qb in the MWC. Pavlov's dogs could not have been more consistent.

John is the best qb in the MWC, and he is not all that great. I think he is solid, but I don't think he has the potential to be an All American. If BYU can shore up its defense, which it does not appear that recruiting is going to help the Y reach that goal, the MWC has 3 teams with a shot of making the top 25 next year. TCU, BYU and Utah all had that potential at the end of last year.

When push comes to shove it will take a huge improvement in BYU's defense and Utah's coaching for either of those teams to reach that level. The more likely of the two to occur is the Utah coaching will improve.

If I would make a prediction on BYU next year it would go along the lines:

@ BC - loss BC will run over our weak DL all night and our offense is good but will make more mistakes than our defense will make plays.

@ AZ - win. Early game where defenses are ahead of offense will aid the Y. Y offense will score a lot and the Y defense will make enough plays against an offense looking for an identity to win the game. Put the game in October and could be a different outcome.

The other two games will be Tulsa in Provo and probably a 1-AA team so I think the Y wins both. That gives an OOC record of 3-1.

Conference games:
@ TCU - Loss TCU will be better.
@ Utah - Loss Even teams, but the U has the Y number and it is at SLC.
@ CSU - Win. The Y has dominated CSU the past two years far more than the score indicates.
@ AFA - Win. Y is just better
WYO - Win
SDSU - Win
UNM - Win
UNLV - Win

That would be a 6-2 conference record. For a total record of 9-3. However, wall all know that that will not happen. Therefore I predict the Y will lose at least one-two of the following games: @ CSU, @ AZ and home against SDSU and Tulsa. So in the end I think the Y will go 7-5 at the worst and 9-3 at the best.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:01 AM   #18
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Sounds reasonable.

I hope for much better but logic dictates your predictions to be closer to reality than one would hope.
Logic & History.

I am just assuming that BYU football will suck until they prove otherwise.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 AM   #19
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
All-American wrote:
non sequitur wrote:
I also believe I read somewhere that Mel Kiper rated him as the #5 junior QB in the country last year. If Mel Kiper thinks the guy is good, then I'll take his word for it.

Say, how the heck IS John Walsh these days?

Are you implying that Mel Kiper is not an expert? I'm not sure there many people alive that are more qualified to evaluate college football talent than Mel Kiper.
I used to think the same as you - that Mel Kiper is kind of a clown. I think what turned it around for me was that well-publicized feud with one of the NFL coaches (I forget his name, but at one time he either was a coach at Chicago or had a brother who was a coach at Chicago - funny how your memory works) about one of his picks - I remember agreeing with the coach and thinking what an idiot Kiper was. When Mel turned out to be right, I started to change my opinion of him. I think he's actually very knowledgeable, and it seems to me that a lot of people in the business listen to what he says regarding the NFL draft.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

It was a fight with the Colts about their pick of Trev Alberts, IIRC.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote