cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
VAX77

VAX77
Default Lee Corso is all over V Young's jock....

Corso just called Young the best qb ever in college football???????
Also, I hate texas, so this may be biased, but how did they not review that touchdown? Also, that fumble that was not called was also ridiculous. Absolutely crazy. Matt Leinart said it best when he said SC had the better team, but texas made the plays tonight. If they play 10 times, SC wins 8 of 10 in my opinion. Look at Bush's lateral, the phantom TD, and the surprise no call fumble?????
Such is life, thats why they play the games I guess.
I just look at SC and Leinart and Bush and White, etc, and they have so much more class than Texas. (They have more class then I do too, but I am not being interviewed right now either)
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

You think Leinart's statement at the end of the game showed class? Give me a break. Check the scoreboard and shut your piehole Matt!

There were just as many bad calls that went USC's way BTW. Apparently they don't call holding in the Big 10 at all. I saw Texas defenders get mugged several times. Our buddy Lutui was one of the biggest offenders. No calls there. And there were other questionable ones as well.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug
You think Leinart's statement at the end of the game showed class? Give me a break. Check the scoreboard and shut your piehole Matt!

There were just as many bad calls that went USC's way BTW. Apparently they don't call holding in the Big 10 at all. I saw Texas defenders get mugged several times. Our buddy Lutui was one of the biggest offenders. No calls there. And there were other questionable ones as well.
It went both ways. Jarret pushing off. Sweed pushing off. Not a single penalty on either OL and there was plenty of grabbing, the difference is that when you have review and something as blatant as VY knee hitting the ground and an obvious catch and fumble not being reversed then why have replay?

I do agree that SC is the better team. VY had the game of his life. Pete Carroll made some bold calls and he paid the price. Had they punted and made Texas go 80 yards then they may have won. Hats off to VY though. What an incredible performance. I couldn't believe that USC couldn't stop him. They tackled like BYU tonight. He is not the best QB in college football. In fact he wouldn't make the top 10 in my biased list. I liked how he dodged Saunders' question if he was going to be back by answering we. Smart kid. He probably has an agent already.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
VAX77

VAX77

I prefaced that I am biased and I hate texas, but you cannot argue that Matt Leinart is not classy. You could tell he was hurting and that he believed he had the better team, but the way he said it was not like he was being a sore loser. You have to watch it on your own. He is the epitome of what college football is all about.

Second, it is the Pac 10 and yes they do call holding. Latui kicked ass tonight. Holding happens almost every down, and please do not think that texas did not get away with just as much.

I have to say that SC blew this game. The lateral, the blown td replay, the second blown replay in the fumble that would have given sc the ball again, the two 4th downs instead of punting it....Props to texas for winning the game, but I cannot look at texas and say they took the game away. SC had a let down. I said thats why they play the game though and I still think SC wins 80% of the time....

BTW, even if SC loses Bush, White and others as well as seniors, watch out for them even next year. Sanchez is a stud QB and their oline only loses Latui. I am impressed by what they have done there, they will no longer rebuild, just reload, ala Leinart replacing Palmer. I did not go to SC nor am I a booster, I just think they do things the right way, present themselves well, and are exciting to watch.
Thats my two cents and how I feel.
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

After the game, Leinart and Bush went into the Horns locker room to congratulate them on the victory. And note, that was after the cameras had stopped rolling. We know about this because Mack Brown was so touched by the gesture that he mentioned it in a live interview an hour afterwards.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lee Corso is all over V Young's jock....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAX77
Corso just called Young the best qb ever in college football???????
Also, I hate texas, so this may be biased, but how did they not review that touchdown? Also, that fumble that was not called was also ridiculous. Absolutely crazy. Matt Leinart said it best when he said SC had the better team, but texas made the plays tonight. If they play 10 times, SC wins 8 of 10 in my opinion. Look at Bush's lateral, the phantom TD, and the surprise no call fumble?????
Such is life, thats why they play the games I guess.
I just look at SC and Leinart and Bush and White, etc, and they have so much more class than Texas. (They have more class then I do too, but I am not being interviewed right now either)
B00000000!!!!

Get over it. It was a great game, but USC lost.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default This game was everything I wanted

A good close game that went to the final seconds.

USC lost shutting up my obnixious co-worker who knows nothing about football, but is an alum.

Texas won, but based on questionable calls. The non review of the forward lateral with the knee down was just what I was looking for so that SC fans could claim the game was stolen from them. BTW, the review on the catch and fumble and upholding as incomplete, was the correct call in my opinion.

Great game.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Very fun game to watch because I had no ties to either team. I was amazed that both defenses could tackle so well on some plays and other plays they seemed to forget. Both teams are very good and VY had a game that will go down in history. I don't think he is the greatest ever, but that one game may be ranked and argued as one of the best games by a QB ever.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default Re: This game was everything I wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney
BTW, the review on the catch and fumble and upholding as incomplete, was the correct call in my opinion.
I still think it's a catch and fumble. I guess the question is what constitutes possession. Do you think he needed to hold onto the ball for another second, millisecond, or take a step? I mean had the receiver caught the ball on his knees, like UT had done all night, wouldn't that have been ruled a reception?

Either way, great game. No ties to either team here. I am just not a fan of the Big XII or Mack Brown although he exhibited quite a bit of class last night and was gracious in his win. He just turned me off last year with his whining and comments.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default I could care less about either team also

But I thought it was incomplete from the beginning. It just seemed to me that he never had possession. One of his hands, I recall it to be his right, never stopped moving on the ball and I thought never had any control on the ball. It was like he was caressing the ball, but didn't secure it with that hand.

THat was my reaction to seeing the play the first time and it was reinforced after seeing the replay. But of course I was looking for that.

Maybe college needs to redefine what a catch is, like they did in the NFL. Because in college you can make a catch with one foot in bounds, but if you only got one foot down and then you got popped and the ball came loose they would probably rule it an incompletion. What a 'football move' is up to interpretation as well

Too bad the officials from the Penn State - FSU game couldn't have done the Rose Bowl instead. I thought they called a good game.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote