cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #21
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I like Beck's play

There are three things he can do to get the average (which is to say, critical) Cougar fan off his back:

1) Beat the Utes.

2) Win a bowl game.

3) Lead us to a Conference Championship.

If he pulls off the hat trick, he'll certainly be mentioned as one of the great BYU QBs. Even getting one of those three will help his cause substantially.

Beyond those three things, he at least needs to help the team to an 8-4 record and lead us to a bowl game. If he manages that (which could be difficult with our defense) most Cougar fans will still think of him positively.

Oh yes, there's one more thing: If he gets drafted and has a decent pro career your basic Cougar Fan will rewrite history to gush all over him.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-08-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #22
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

1) Possible...that game no matter who's down or up is a toss up. I mean the Cougs were supposed to demolish the Utes last year with their injured team.

2) 6-6 and a bowl game is realistic. Winning it, kind of like the Utah game.

3) Not going to happen. Who's bright idea was it to bring TCU into the conference again?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 07-08-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #23
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I think Beck is fine. He does what he can with the teammates that surround him. The few times I saw him play I noticed that there were moments where he panicked just a bit and hurried things - in the Utah game I honestly think if he would have tucked the ball, put his head down and went hard, he would have gotten the first down in the OT, but he threw the ball instead. He seemed to me that he'd rather throw the ball away than take a hit.

It also didn't help him that Watkins dropped way too many balls. Brown was a very effective running back, but from my perspective, his running game didn't seem to compliment Beck's passing enough to help Beck. That may have been the receivers' fault for not taking advantage of Brown's ability to force a defense to focus on his running - they should have had some open lanes in the intermediate routes. At times, it also looked like the O-line was a sieve.

I don't know what the anti-Beck crowd wants. The guy was First Team All-Conference. First team All-Conference is pretty dang good in my book.
Your first paragraph shows why he's not great in my book.

What do anti-Beck's want? Even though I don't consider myself anti-Beck, I'll answer your question (since according to some definitions I am). A guy that is cool under pressure, that wins, that doesn't "panic and hurry things".

I think he's gotten better in that regard (see TCU and UNM games), but he still has a ways to go. I hope he can get there. I want him to get there. I think he can get there.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #24
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I like Beck because he will end his career with BYU as 0-fer against the Utes.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
I predict that after this season, the complaints about Beck not being able to win games, and not making the extra pass are going to seem silly.

We're comparing him to guys who have already had their senior year.

Here's how I look at it: I couldn't wait for Feterik to graduate. I couldn't wait for Engemann to get benched. I was happy to see Walsh leave early. I didn't think those guys were up to par. As for Beck, I'm really looking forward to seeing him play this year. I think he's going to answer his critics.
Perfectly said. Also after re-watching the games this year on a few occasions, a more strict observance of Beck's presense in the pocket, his ability to make plays on the fly, and improved accuracy on the short to mid routes has improved quite a bit. Not much of that was noticed because we had a defense that couldn't do jack squat to stop the other team from scoring.

Hell, if Beck even had a crappy 2001 defense that Doman had,,,a defense that was much better than last year's, my guess is BYU's record would've been significantly better and the Beck detractors would be far and few between.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
I'm not anti-Beck per se, just pro BYU.

I want BYU to win, and Beck doesn't inspire me as a firey McMahon or Young that will make it happen. You almost sense those willing us to victory.

I'd be happy if Beck remains a cog in the system and let the system win for us, rather than rely upon extraordinary plays by Beck.

Beck seems to get ahead of himself, frequently looking for the long ball, not patient enough, not willing to go to the run.

In Utah, why did we allow Brown to run us back and then we stopped using him. Brown brought us back, not Beck and then Beck didn't finish.
Beck played pretty well in the Utah game. It's not his fault that we had a defense that let a QB like Ratliff rush for 119 yards and couldn't stop a 3rd and long to save their life.

Curtis Brown dropped a SURE FIRE Touchdown on the first play of the game...is that Beck's fault as well?

Beck played great in that game. It is not possible for a Quarterback to play defense.

Also if we stopped using Brown, which we really didn't....wouldn't that then be the fault of the coaching staff and not John Beck's, so the criticism there is unfounded towards Beck.

A re-watching of that game shows quite a bit about Beck's saavy to make a play.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #27
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Beck played pretty well in the Utah game. It's not his fault that we had a defense that let a QB like Ratliff rush for 119 yards and couldn't stop a 3rd and long to save their life.

Curtis Brown dropped a SURE FIRE Touchdown on the first play of the game...is that Beck's fault as well?

Beck played great in that game. It is not possible for a Quarterback to play defense.

Also if we stopped using Brown, which we really didn't....wouldn't that then be the fault of the coaching staff and not John Beck's, so the criticism there is unfounded towards Beck.

A re-watching of that game shows quite a bit about Beck's saavy to make a play.
You're right Rocky. The defense couldn't stop a 3rd and 23 and allowed a 2nd string QB who isn't particularly mobile to run for 100+ yards. Those things cannot be blamed on Beck.

But, DESPITE the piss-poor 1st half, despite the swiss cheese defense, BYU still had chances to win the game at the end of regulation. The defense didn't overthrow Harline. The defense didn't sphyxter up in OT (well, they did techincally, but not when BYU had the ball). My point is, I expect my QB, given those types of opportunities, to make plays like that, like the pass to Harline, or be smart enough to tuck it and run, or make something happen.

Now, there are a lot of people at fault for the Utah loss. Utah also deserves some credit as well, because they won. I will say that a bigger part of the blame should fall on the defense, but Beck also deserves his share of the blame as well. And if he can't take that type of criticism, then he shouldn't have been a quarterback. End of story.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #28
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
Now, there are a lot of people at fault for the Utah loss. Utah also deserves some credit as well, because they won. I will say that a bigger part of the blame should fall on the defense, but Beck also deserves his share of the blame as well. And if he can't take that type of criticism, then he shouldn't have been a quarterback. End of story.
Amen, exactly, ditto, etc.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #29
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
Originally Posted by Would the REAL trombone PLEASE stand up?

What does this mean?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:57 AM   #30
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

It was just a stupid joke playing off of "The Real Slim Shady". I believe that you play trombone, and I know there is a 2nd Trombone on Cougarboard, so I was just tyring to have a little lame sense of humor.

I meant nothing derrogatory from it.

Lame joke on my part, nothing more.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote