cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what's wrong with BYU football?

The main thing that is wrong is that there is a general lack of talent.

Starting with the offense--the OL stinks. There is no talent there. Outside of Cody Hoffman, there is no talent at WR. Falslev is a passable backup slot receiver for a decent program. But that is it. I started laughing when the ESPN announcers described Ross Apo is a threat. I'm actually jealous of Ross. He's had the best seats in the house for a long time. He gets to watch the games from the field.

Williams is a stud RB. He is a talent. When he wasn't in, you could see how marginal the backups are.

And then on defense, we have cornerbacks that are just plain awful. We are so thin at that position that an injury or two can tank the entire season.

So you don't agree with me?

Look at the number of players Bronco puts into the NFL draft compared to what Lavell did. And Crowton did. The dropoff has been severe.

The strange thing is that Bronco is actually proud of the recruiting that he does. It's a kind of PR judo. You say that you recruited only guys with great character and then it doesn't seem to matter if there was any talent. You say that the players will recruit BYU, not the other way around, and you don't have to defend how feeble and lazy your recruiting processes really are.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't think we are good at player development or game planning or anything else. So that's why the talent that arrives on campus is so important.

I don't think we will ever get better with Bronco at the helm. This is as good as it gets. We can end up with a better record if we have an easier schedule and the stars align with a decent QB and few injuries. But I don't think we can really ever legitimately content for BCS bowls. And the thing that really hurts us is that we are less and less attractive to BCS conferences. This is a critical time that could determine whether BYU ends up at the adults' table or the kids' table.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

You may have a point with the talent level but I don't think you can argue that we suck at everything else. Bronco's performance has been slightly better than Lavell's, when you consider our tougher schedule.

On talent, though, IIRC Crowton put out 3-7 draftees per year.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Lavell did better with the draft than Bronco.

This product that Bronco is putting out this season is not credible. It does not pass the smell test. That's why you get stunned silence from the crowd at LES. They cannot believe that it can be this bad with Captain Moroni at the helm.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
KatieCassidy

KatieCassidy is on a distinguished road

To crown all this a photo taken at a after match party caused some of the players suspensions.