cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #51
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Since we are doing some old comedy, here are two scenes from one of the best Peter Sellers movies of all time. Peter Sellers is my favorite all-time movie comic and truly was the master. This movie is a Blake Edwards classic and is unique in that it uses very little film scoring, other than the actual ambient noise in any particular scene. Adds a different vibe to the flick.

The movie is called The Party. If you have not seen it, please rent it asap. It is about a bumbling Indian actor who mistakenly gets invited to a party thrown by the head of a large Hollywood movie studio. Sellers shows up and has all sorts of misadventures. When he shows up at the house, he accidentally steps in mud on his way inside the house. This first clip takes it from that point....

In this second clip, Sellers stumbles upon a home intercom system...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #52
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

BEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #53
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

'the men we admire'

8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #54
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

The Boogie Nights deal gone bad scene
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #55
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Annie Hall is also one of my favorite movies of all time. This might be my favorite scene:

My favorite scene from Play it Again Sam:
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:59 AM   #56
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

It took a while for me to find this, but this is probably my favorite scene from Apollo 13:

For me, the score is perfect in capturing the drama and awesomeness of the launch.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:56 AM   #57
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I was kind of in a classics mood tonight, and no movie sums up the classics more than Citizen Kane. Yes, I know some do not agree that it is the greatest movie ever made. I dont think it is, either. But I DO think it is an excellent movie, and very important in many respects.

For anyone that has taken a film studies course, you will know that this movie pioneered all kinds of special effects and camera techniques that simply weren't widely used before. One of the coolest effects was tracking while keeping deep focus on foreground and background simultaneously, this telling the audience two stories at once. This particular scene is an excellent example...note how the camera tracks from the outside of the house, through the window, all the way through the home, and winds up BEHIND a desk. Very cool stuff. Midway through the scene, you can still see young Kane outside, in vivid action. All of this occurs in one tracked take, as opposed to multiple camera angles.

From a story standpoint, obviously this scene foreshadows the revelation of one of the greatest movie trivia answers in all modern cinema....Rosebud.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:03 AM   #58
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I've yet to see Citizen Kane. I probably ought to watch it sometime.

I've never taken any kind of film class. I'm not that interested in film to ever do it. I just know that I am not a fan of movies. I'll watch one occasionally, but it's only one that I know I'll like. Way too much garbage has come out of Hollywood over the last 20+ years to think I'd like anything today.

Sorry - I didn't mean to turn this into one of my movie bashing rants. If I find another clip of a scene that I like, I'll post it and refrain from commentary.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #59
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Classicisimo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GHkNpbGhgU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnAdWKiy-sc

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #60
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Good ones. That second one was already posted above.

You should try the youtube link and embed the videos. Just copy the youtube video id (i.e., the last part of the link at youtube - everything after the "v=" part) and then insert a youtube tag and then paste in the video id.