cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road
Default Lesson 15 (Gospel Doctrine): Should I Stay or Should I Go

Here are some notes about the first part of gospel doctrine lesson 15. Specifically, these notes cover the first 13 verses of the lesson (John 7:1-13). I don't have a sense for what lesson most of you are on in your respective wards, but hopefully the notes are relatively timely.

Should I Stay or Should I Go
  • Read John 7:1-9:

Quote:
    (1) After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him. (2) Now the Jews’ feast of tabernacles was at hand. (3) His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest. (4) For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, shew thyself to the world. (5) For neither did his brethren believe in him. (6) Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready. (7) The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil. (8) Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come. (9) When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.

A. They Sought to Kill Him
  • In verse 1, we find out that Jesus is in Galilee because “he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to Kill him.” What does it mean to “not walk in Jewry?”

• The archaic nature of the King James Version makes it a little bit difficult figure out what is meant, but verse 3 suggests that it means that Jesus was staying away from Judaea. The NRSV translates verse 1 as the following:

Quote:
    (1) After this Jesus went about in Galilee. He did not wish to go about in Judea because the Jews were looking for an opportunity to kill him.
  • First, why did the Jews want to Kill Jesus? Well, this seems to reference the events of chapter 5 when Jesus heals the paralytic man. Who is John talking about when he says, “the Jews?”

• I think verses 10-13 give us some context:

Quote:
    (10) But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret. (11) Then the Jews sought him at the feast, and said, Where is he? (12) And there was much murmuring among the people concerning him: for some said, He is a good man: others said, Nay; but he deceiveth the people. (13) Howbeit no man spake openly of him for fear of the Jews.
  • Do these verses help us understand who “the Jews” are? Can we at least rule out some groups?

• The Evangelist clearly makes a distinction in these verses between the “Jewish People” and the “Jews.” The Jewish people react in a mixed fashion: some think he is good and some bad. The reaction of the Jewish People to Jesus is quite different than that of “the Jews” as identified by the Evangelist. One possibility is that “the Jews” refers to the residence of Jerusalem or Judaea; Jerusalem is full of people from all over region (such as Galilee) because of the Festival. Maybe the distinction is between the resident of Judaea and everyone else. I see that as unlikely. I think the term is used in a narrow sense to refer to the Jewish Authorities or leaders. Consistent with this idea, later in the chapter the conflict is really between Jesus and the rulers (verse 26), the pharisees (verses 32,45), and chief priests (verse 45). Everybody else in the chapter has a mixed or favorable response including some groups that are clearly from Judaea (like the temple police). This identification is also consistent with the confrontation in chapter 5 involving the healing of the paralytic man that gave rise to this situation because it was with the leadership as well.

B. The Feast of the Tabernacles
  • The Festival or the Feast of the Tabernacles is a very important backdrop to this chapter. However, I am going to hold off most of our discussion of the festival until verses 37-38. The Feast of the Tabernacles was celebrated roughly (by our calendar) in the second week of October. This connects the Festival with the harvest and thanksgiving for the harvest. Each family constructed its own temporary shelter: a tabernacle, booth, or tent. The tent was a type or reminder of Israel’s wandering in the desert before entering the promised land. All Jewish Men were required to attend this festival (Deut 16:16-17).[1]

C. The Brothers of Jesus
  • Can we figure out from this pericope whether the reference is to literal or metaphorical brothers?

• First, the Evangelist does, once at least, use brother as a metaphorical or spiritual description. Post resurrection, Jesus tells Mary to tell his brothers about his resurrection. She tells the disciples. However, I don’t think he is referring to the disciples here. These brothers did not believe in Jesus, and belief is the core of the metaphorical or spiritual use of the title, brother. Thus I think the narrative itself strongly points to the idea that he is conversing with his literal brothers.

• What do you make of the brothers’ suggestion to Jesus? Does it remind you of any other stories in the gospels?

• I don’t want to overstate the parallel, but it does remind me some of the second temptation of Christ (Matthew 4:5-7):

Quote:
    (5) Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, (6) And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. (7) Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
  • Do you you see a connection here? Does this possible connection help use understand why the Evangelist parenthetically inserts that the brothers do not believe in Jesus?

• I think it does help us understand in what sense the brothers do not believe. They seem to believe in his ability to do miracles (unless their suggestion is sarcastic). Thus the narrative insertion may indicate that they don’t understand, completely misunderstand his Messianic role, or don’t really accept his Messiah-ship even though they believe in his power to do miracles.

D. I’m Not Going
  • What are verses 6-10 about? Specifically, what does it mean that, “I go not up yet unto this feast for my time is not yet full come? What are the possibilities? Why does Jesus say he is not going to the feast but then in verse 10 he actually does go the feast?

• Possibilities

1. Well, one possibility is that Jesus is suggesting that appearing publicly now will set things in motion too quickly and lead to his death too quickly. After all, verse 1 does mention that the leadership wants to kill him. My reservation is that it seems contradicts the rest of the narrative. Jesus does go to this feast and eventually in a very public way (37-38).

2. Maybe, Jesus is really explaining why he is not going to go to the feast and perform great miracles that will show Judaea that he is the Messiah. The true sign of his Messiah-ship has not yet come, and will only come at his death and resurrection. That is why his brothers’ advice is so wrong. My reservation with this possibility is that it doesn’t really explain why Jesus says the time is not right for him to go to the feast, then he does go to the feast privately, and then finally makes a very public appearance. Maybe, the implication is that he simply can’t go with his brothers at this point because going with them would express acceptance of their advice.

3. Maybe, Jesus is expressing the fact that his Father has not told him yet to go to the feast. His earthly family has advised him or told him to go. In contrast, Jesus follows the command or advice of his heavenly family (specifically, his Father in Heaven). His time is not yet because he is waiting to learn the will of his Heavenly Father. Another way to translate the phrase we are discussing is,
      Quote:
      I myself am not going up to the festival, because the right time for me has not yet fully come. [WBC]
      The “right time” is when the Father wants the Son to attend. The right time is not determined by earthly concerns. Jesus is not trying to sneaky or evasive; he is waiting to learn the will or have the will of his Father revealed.

• Are you surprised that Jesus said he wasn’t going to attend given that all males are required to attend the feast? Isn’t Jesus obedient to the Law?

• I actually view this as evidence for the my third possibility above. Jesus is obedient to the will of the Father. He is waiting to learn his Father’s will in the specific case. The law or requirement that all males attend the festival is clearly important, but not as important as doing the Father’s will.

• Why does Jesus say that “world cannot hate” his brothers?

• They are the world; their advice is worldly; their understanding of him is worldly.

Endnotes
  1. Gaebelein, Frank E. (editor), 1981, The Expositor’s bible Commentary: John-Acts, Regency Reference Library, 81-82.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-24-2007 at 04:25 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Good syuff. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Pelagius a Clash fan, who knew?

Thanks for this. I'm on the same schedule as you and it's good to get me motivated to study before Sunday. I appreciate this greatly.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
pelagius

Thanks, Creekster and Jay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Pelagius a Clash fan, who knew?

Thanks for this. I'm on the same schedule as you and it's good to get me motivated to study before Sunday. I appreciate this greatly.
Listening to that song reminds me of when I was a kid because my dad used to play and sing it a lot when I was young.

I will do another post later in the week that focuses more on the heart of chapter 7. Probably the climax: John 7:37-39.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Excellent insights Pelagius.

I only get to attend gospel doctrine class about half of the time, so reading your notes and thoughts is very helpful.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Thanks, Creekster and Jay.

Listening to that song reminds me of when I was a kid because my dad used to play and sing it a lot when I was young.

I will do another post later in the week that focuses more on the heart of chapter 7. Probably the climax: John 7:37-39.
I love the word climax...that said, I just presented this lesson on sunday. What are your thoughts on John chapters 9 and 10?

I think it has something to do with blind and can see.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I love the word climax...that said, I just presented this lesson on sunday. What are your thoughts on John chapters 9 and 10?

I think it has something to do with blind and can see.
I just started to look at 9, and I have not had time to think about it very much. I did my first read through last night, so all I can give are some general initial impressions or questions I had last night. Chapter 9 is very impressive from a literary point of view (by literary I guess I mean the combination of Jesus' actions and the evangelist retelling of his actions). Lots of irony, reversals, and contrast:

1. Contrast: Light and Darkness, Night and Day, Blind and Sight. (Probably more but those are the ones I noticed last night).

2. There is lots of irony. Also, the reversal between those that are actually blind and those that can see is fun. I like how it finally completely reveals itself at the very end of the chapter.

3. The pool of Siloam is actually very important in chapter 7 and it shows up again in John 9:7. More on the pool of Siloam in my second post for lesson 15. Is this continuity important? Does it affect how we should understand the command to wash in the pool?

4. Is the use of dirt/clay to heal the man, a reference to Genesis 2? Is it related to the rabbinical practice of subscribing magical properties clay/dirt?

5. The man's confidence or faith in his healer seems to grow throughout the chapter. Why? Is there a generalizable lesson in terms of the arc his faith takes in this pericope?

6. Why the use of the plural pronoun, "we" in verse 4 when Jesus is the only one that does anything?: "4 We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming when no one can work."

Just a few rough thoughts.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-23-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Pelagius, I have been sharing your Gospel lesson to our bishop, who is with CES and he loves them.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Pelagius, I have been sharing your Gospel lesson to our bishop, who is with CES and he loves them.
Thanks, Arch. I'm always happy to hear that someone likes them. My lesson 16 notes are almost ready; I should get them posted by tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Thanks, Arch. I'm always happy to hear that someone likes them. My lesson 16 notes are almost ready; I should get them posted by tomorrow.
They are a significant improvement upon current materials. And to hear a lifetime CESer enjoy them should be a compliment as well. He was wishing their material was that thorough.