cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road
Default Lunatic Boylen, Cummard POY, Jimmer FOY

Just some random thoughts...

1) Boylen is a nutcase - as I watched him for the first time last night I became very grateful for Coach Rose. Intensity is fine, but that kind of madness will get old...imagine being a freshman for the U, and going home every night knowing you're going to have 4 years of Boylen screaming at you, your teammates, the refs, etc... I guarantee his players will tune him out and resent the screaming, and it will hurt the team.

2) A friend and I were wondering last night if Cummard will reach the pantheon of BYU players with guys like Ainge, Kosic(sp?), Michael Smith...I think he gets there after next year. Honestly, the guy is easily the best player on our team and in the league. You can take away any other player on our team and I think we still at least compete, but take away Cummard and we become average real quick.

3) Just a personal observation: shouldn't the crowd at the MC make tons of noise when the opposing team is playing DEFENSE? Everybody last night was calling for noise when the yewts were on offense, and I'm thinking to myself that we all need to shut up so our team can communicate on defense - I mean, when playing defense you often can't see what's going on behind you! If you want to disrupt the other team in football, make noise when their offense is on the field. When you want to disrupt the other team in basketball, make noise when they are trying to defend.

4) How good is it to be a BYU fan right now. Winning outright conference titles in football & basketball two years in a row doesn't happen often, anywhere, in any conference. Times are good.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post

1) Boylen is a nutcase - as I watched him for the first time last night I became very grateful for Coach Rose. Intensity is fine, but that kind of madness will get old...imagine being a freshman for the U, and going home every night knowing you're going to have 4 years of Boylen screaming at you, your teammates, the refs, etc... I guarantee his players will tune him out and resent the screaming, and it will hurt the team.

2) A friend and I were wondering last night if Cummard will reach the pantheon of BYU players with guys like Ainge, Kosic(sp?), Michael Smith...I think he gets there after next year. Honestly, the guy is easily the best player on our team and in the league. You can take away any other player on our team and I think we still at least compete, but take away Cummard and we become average real quick.

3) Just a personal observation: shouldn't the crowd at the MC make tons of noise when the opposing team is playing DEFENSE? Everybody last night was calling for noise when the yewts were on offense, and I'm thinking to myself that we all need to shut up so our team can communicate on defense - I mean, when playing defense you often can't see what's going on behind you! If you want to disrupt the other team in football, make noise when their offense is on the field. When you want to disrupt the other team in basketball, make noise when they are trying to defend.

4) How good is it to be a BYU fan right now. Winning outright conference titles in football & basketball two years in a row doesn't happen often, anywhere, in any conference. Times are good.
1. no
2. maybe
3. no
4. yes
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post

1. Not unusually so. He seems to be a very good coach and a formidable foe.

2. Not going to make that list, but he is the heart and soul.

3. Noise helps discombobulate offenses.

4. Yes it is good to be a cougar.

I was inspired by the Santosian brevity.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If all you see in Boylen is a raving lunatic, then you're not paying attention.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Cummard is a poor man's Josh Howard. Even though he may be the best player in the league, nobody cares, and he's not a star.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote