cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU, not a very good half court team

In non-Tourney games, a free-flowing offense with mediocre defense can win some games.

In the rough and tumble of the Tourney, great guard play, interior defense and a half court offense is a necessity.

BYU lacks that again this year.

I know I'm treading on hallowed ground, but does Rose have what it takes to raise the level of BYU bball? He will maintain the good in conference status with the core of LDS recruiting, but will he ever get us to playing, good, athletic bball.

One thing I noticed about this year's team. Its man-to-man defense is relatively weak. They have to resort to a zone if and when the other team sports a capable guard. That fact alone signals death in the Tourney. Bottom line, I hate losing to anybody especially to a non-top twenty team.

There is no joy in defeating USU, but lots of disgust in losing to them. If BYU loses, as it usually does to a Big East or ACC team, oh well, that's expected but still disappointing.

But if we lose in state to somebody other than Utah, uggh. We're obviously very mediocre.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Basketball, more than football, is determined by recruiting.

I don't think we can expect Rose to recruit much better than he has. Nor anyone else at BYU.

BYU has put players into the NBA, but not recently (I don't count Hansen or Rafa).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Basketball, more than football, is determined by recruiting.

I don't think we can expect Rose to recruit much better than he has. Nor anyone else at BYU.

BYU has put players into the NBA, but not recently (I don't count Hansen or Rafa).
Well why can a Nevada, a UNLV or UNM do it but we can't?

It's disappointing and frustrating that BYU is almost forever relegated to the backwaters of big time athletics. If a nothing school such as Nevada can do it occasionally, so should BYU.