cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Utah has become a football school, and I'm not certain what BYU has become. The school whose sponsor backed Prop 8?
Sports is obviously much less important to the administration at BYU than it was a generation ago. I don't think there is any question about that. How many more years before they take the BYU-Idaho approach? I think today's typical student at BYU is also more interested in other things besides sports.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Sports is obviously much less important to the administration at BYU than it was a generation ago. I don't think there is any question about that. How many more years before they take the BYU-Idaho approach? I think today's typical student at BYU is also more interested in other things besides sports.
to their credit.

I think it was Roger Reid that created a big uproar when I was at BYU and said that kids admitted to BYU were too smart, and not like the dumb students back in the day who would come and support the teams.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's hard to win small-ball when your center sucks, and the team as a whole is slow.

Think about it. A small unathletic front line, backed by an unathletic backcourt.

As much of a disappointment and headcase as Plaisted was, he was heads and shoulders better than his backups. We really miss Collinsworth as well, with his length and rebounding and defense.

On a good team, Tavernari would be a 6th man. On a mediocre team he is the starting power forward, esp. when that mediocre team starts a terrible 5.
You do realize that Dino Gaudio Wake Forest coached called BYU one of the quickest teams in the country.

Oh wait nevermind I saw your other post below you have only seen one game. Forget that I even commented as you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
You do realize that Dino Gaudio Wake Forest coached called BYU one of the quickest teams in the country.

Oh wait nevermind I saw your other post below you have only seen one game. Forget that I even commented as you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
this assertion is so stupid it is not worth further comment other than this:

I only needed to watch Bolt run once to know he was fast. I only needed to see Andy Reid once this season to know he is unable to see his feet.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
to their credit.

I think it was Roger Reid that created a big uproar when I was at BYU and said that kids admitted to BYU were too smart, and not like the dumb students back in the day who would come and support the teams.
Roger Reid really said that? I doubt it. I do know one thing. Back then fans would complain that we couldn't get out of the second round. Now we complain we can't get out of the first. For all the crap Reid took and much of it brought on by himself, we had a better program back then. I like Dave Rose, but he has to win a game in the only tournament that matters before he can be considered as good of a coach as Reid was.

Last edited by BlueK; 02-03-2009 at 05:43 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote