cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tomorrow a tough day to predict

The Aztecs scare the crap out of me, especially if they start quickly as they did today, and the Cougs start so slowing again. They may have just turned it up a notch. Cougs have confidence, but playing a complete game would be nice.

I think the Utes caught a break in getting the Cowboys who are an easier match up for the Utes.

I worry about the Aztecs, and I think the Utes are greased to the final game. As for the Cougs, I don't know. They scare me in their ability to go completely cold.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The Aztecs scare the crap out of me, especially if they start quickly as they did today, and the Cougs start so slowing again. They may have just turned it up a notch. Cougs have confidence, but playing a complete game would be nice.

I think the Utes caught a break in getting the Cowboys who are an easier match up for the Utes.

I worry about the Aztecs, and I think the Utes are greased to the final game. As for the Cougs, I don't know. They scare me in their ability to go completely cold.
The Utes caught a break in beating TCU! SDSU is tough, and they are playing for their tournament life. This won't be an easy game at all for BYU, but I think BYU wins in a squeaker and improves their seeding to a 7.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it's never tough to predict BYU in a meaningful game. L.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's never tough to predict BYU in a meaningful game. L.
Very possible, although I do really feel this is the year the Cougars win a first round game. If they win tonight, it should help with seeding. BYU needs to avoid the 8-9 matchup, if possible. Better to be a 10, 11 or 12 than an 8, I think.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Very possible, although I do really feel this is the year the Cougars win a first round game. If they win tonight, it should help with seeding. BYU needs to avoid the 8-9 matchup, if possible. Better to be a 10, 11 or 12 than an 8, I think.
My mind tells me that SDSU and Utah will play in the championship with perhaps SDSU sneaking into the Tournament, but something in me makes me want to believe in BYU.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Both Utah and BYU will get into the Big Dance without winning the conference tournament. Right now, both teams are really only playing for seeding.

As for tonight's games, I think Utah needs to play smart - not turn the ball over and take bad shots. They really need to get Nevill involved in the game, because he's played poorly in 3 of the last four games. Had he played better, Utah is probably 3-1 in these games rather than 2-2 - and the Utes were lucky they got the win last night. I think it's going to be a close game despite the winner, but if either team is going to win by more than 10 points, my guess would be Wyoming. I think this because Utah knows it's headed to the NCAA tournament win or lose and Wyoming will play with more urgency. I'd rather that the Utes play like they need to win, but I don't know that the players feel it based on the way they played last night.

I think BYU needs to start off fast. SDSU knows it has to win the conference tournament to go dancing and I'd guess they're ready to feed off of the win last night over the home team. If the Y can hit their early shots and make some good defensive stops, I think they'll be able to put SDSU into panic mode and that bodes well for BYU. Another slow start tonight by BYU will probably result in an SDSU blowout.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Both Utah and BYU will get into the Big Dance without winning the conference tournament. Right now, both teams are really only playing for seeding.

As for tonight's games, I think Utah needs to play smart - not turn the ball over and take bad shots. They really need to get Nevill involved in the game, because he's played poorly in 3 of the last four games. Had he played better, Utah is probably 3-1 in these games rather than 2-2 - and the Utes were lucky they got the win last night. I think it's going to be a close game despite the winner, but if either team is going to win by more than 10 points, my guess would be Wyoming. I think this because Utah knows it's headed to the NCAA tournament win or lose and Wyoming will play with more urgency. I'd rather that the Utes play like they need to win, but I don't know that the players feel it based on the way they played last night.

I think BYU needs to start off fast. SDSU knows it has to win the conference tournament to go dancing and I'd guess they're ready to feed off of the win last night over the home team. If the Y can hit their early shots and make some good defensive stops, I think they'll be able to put SDSU into panic mode and that bodes well for BYU. Another slow start tonight by BYU will probably result in an SDSU blowout.
Aztecs are playing with urgency, and if the Cougs true to form, fall behind early, eventually it will come back to bite them. That was the problem last year and this year against UNM in the Pit.

Can anybody analyze why BYU is falling behind in the first half? I am impressed that when they play with urgency in the second half it works, but why can a team be so Jekyl and Hyde?

I agree both teams are in. Does anybody think UNM is also in, or does a potential win by SDSU knock the Lobos out?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Aztecs are playing with urgency, and if the Cougs true to form, fall behind early, eventually it will come back to bite them. That was the problem last year and this year against UNM in the Pit.

Can anybody analyze why BYU is falling behind in the first half? I am impressed that when they play with urgency in the second half it works, but why can a team be so Jekyl and Hyde?

I agree both teams are in. Does anybody think UNM is also in, or does a potential win by SDSU knock the Lobos out?

I'd guess that UNM hurt it's chances with the loss last night. The BCSification of college basketball has hurt teams that aren't from BCS conferences - that is, the NCAA committee would take 7 ACC teams, 6 Big Ten teams, etc. rather than 4 MWC teams. I'll go as far as saying that If Utah or BYU wins the conference tournament, only Utah and BYU would get in.

UNM might be able to sneak in should Utah or BYU win it, but if SDSU or Wyoming wins the MWC tournament, then UNM gets shut out.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'd guess that UNM hurt it's chances with the loss last night. The BCSification of college basketball has hurt teams that aren't from BCS conferences - that is, the NCAA committee would take 7 ACC teams, 6 Big Ten teams, etc. rather than 4 MWC teams. I'll go as far as saying that If Utah or BYU wins the conference tournament, only Utah and BYU would get in.

UNM might be able to sneak in should Utah or BYU win it, but if SDSU or Wyoming wins the MWC tournament, then UNM gets shut out.
Any astute observation why BYU has consistently started slowly?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The Utes caught a break in beating TCU! SDSU is tough, and they are playing for their tournament life. This won't be an easy game at all for BYU, but I think BYU wins in a squeaker and improves their seeding to a 7.
You're incapable of anything but being a homer for your passions. What happened to you the last month of last college football season? I think your last post on it was abouit how BYU was still a BCS bowl team.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote