cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Connecticut game thread

Slop fest.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

No real sacks on Taysom. I'm optimistic. Good line, all is well.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard to make much of this game because of the quality of the opponent. BYU favored by 16 on the road, east coast, tells us how little Vegas thinks of the Huskies.

1. My favorite play of the game was on a kickoff, and the Husky returner pulled off a big gainer on the right sideline. The BYU kicker is there to meet him and then at the last second jumps out of the way to let him go by. !!!! You are a sorry-a kicker, and you don't have the guts to stick your nose in when the other guy is about to score a touchdown?

2. The OL pass protected well, but did not dominate the line of scrimmage for the running game. Hard to make much out of this without knowing the quality of the opponent. But given past year's experiences, I don't expect that this team can line up and knock the other team back on the run. They will rely a on shifty RB and a scrambling QB for running yards.

3. Wasn't all that thrilled about the DL. Not dominant against the run. Not bad, but not great. Against a weak opponent. Pass rush was fine coming from the outside (Kafusi). I think we have a chance to have a very solid LB group and DBs. Given we were missing both starting corners I thought the secondary did very well.

4. Taysom sure did much better this time than last September. At first I was kind of whining that he wasn't making any NFL throws. Mostly over the middle to stationary targets. But as the game progressed I saw some nice throws. He was confident throwing on the move, which means he is doing a better job of keeping his head up and looking for targets downfield.

5. We'll know a lot more on Saturday. Texas fans are pretty despondent about their QB being out with a concussion. This is a winnable game. But you never know on the road. Or anywhere else for that matter.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote