cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gentlemen, it's all over

BYU is a dead man walking. We had suspected this for a while, but now it is true.

1) No power conference will accept BYU.

2) No power conference will include BYU in their scheduling rules.

3) With the advent of the playoff, BYU as an independent will never make the playoffs.

4) BYU will never play in a major bowl.

And at the end of the day it comes down to one major thing: Sunday play and the associated TV money that goes with flexible scheduling. We all know the Prop 8 stuff didn't help. But that's not the main thing. There's really no reason to partner with BYU. And no one will.

We had some good times, some good games, some good heroes. Some great memories. But it's not something that our children and our children's children will ever see. It will just be in the dusty ol' books that no one reads.

And BYU will just be a cheap private school designed to pump kids into the work force or go on to advanced educations at other schools. That's all she wrote. Goodbye and goodnight. Lock up when you leave, if you don't mind.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU is a dead man walking. We had suspected this for a while, but now it is true.

1) No power conference will accept BYU.

2) No power conference will include BYU in their scheduling rules.

3) With the advent of the playoff, BYU as an independent will never make the playoffs.

4) BYU will never play in a major bowl.

And at the end of the day it comes down to one major thing: Sunday play and the associated TV money that goes with flexible scheduling. We all know the Prop 8 stuff didn't help. But that's not the main thing. There's really no reason to partner with BYU. And no one will.

We had some good times, some good games, some good heroes. Some great memories. But it's not something that our children and our children's children will ever see. It will just be in the dusty ol' books that no one reads.

And BYU will just be a cheap private school designed to pump kids into the work force or go on to advanced educations at other schools. That's all she wrote. Goodbye and goodnight. Lock up when you leave, if you don't mind.
I wish I could disagree but I don't see a strategy where BYU is included where it matters in football. Sunday play killed BYU's athletic ascent before it started. Sadly, many members will find a badge of honor in the uncompromising position. To me, the position is unwise, but as you not, our children, their children and beyond will take little note of the thirty or forty years BYU experimented with big time sports.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That may not last either. I've heard rumblings that the Church is preparing for the scenario in which it loses its accreditation over SSM.

Crap. If my career is derailed, I'm packing my bags and moving to Singapore. No political freedom, but I don't care; I just gotta salvage my career.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very uncomfortable with being in a church that defines itself around opposition to gay rights. I don't think that's what the gospel is about. So I find some things frustrating, yes I do.

btw, I am not saying that the church DOES define itself around opposition to gay rights. But the more it does, the more uncomfortable I am.

What a fiasco Prop 8 was. I did not support the church's efforts at the time. What one positive thing came out of that? I can't think of anything.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm very uncomfortable with being in a church that defines itself around opposition to gay rights. I don't think that's what the gospel is about. So I find some things frustrating, yes I do.

btw, I am not saying that the church DOES define itself around opposition to gay rights. But the more it does, the more uncomfortable I am.

What a fiasco Prop 8 was. I did not support the church's efforts at the time. What one positive thing came out of that? I can't think of anything.
Did the Church lose all inspiration when Joseph Smith died?

I fail to hear or to see any true sign of inspiration, as each step taken by leadership appears to be a misstep.

Prop 8 was a disaster of mammoth proportions. The Church allowed itself to be defined as its opposition to gays. The Church once had a lot of political capital but now has consumed it all in a manner that gained it nothing.

Leadership, as corporate as it is, seems unconcerned and seems destined to drive the organization into the ground.

Losing accreditation over SSM is myopic. Losing sports due to Sunday play is dumb.

I loved many things JS did, not polygamy, but what BY set up not so much.

This is not a happy day.