cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think Bronco is a genius. He doesn't like recruiting. He doesn't like begging teens to come to BYU, knowing that most won't come anyway (such is the nature of recruiting). He hates the 24/7 phone calls and text messages, hates the time away from his family.

So he said "screw it, we'll just go after the ones that want to come here. Cuts down on the work, and we'll get about as good as guys as we got before."

Then he couches this philosophy in religious window dressing. Only the righteous will come. And the blue chippers who don't come, well, they probably don't have righteous desires.

The mullahs eat it up. And in the meantime, Bronco gets to sit down with his family at dinner and not have to do the same kinds of things that the Sabans and Meyers have to do.

Unfortunately this philosophy compounds on itself, because now you don't put anyone into the NFL. And that in and of itself is a huge warning sign to all good recruits. You're better off going to MWC Boise State than BYU, and that's God's truth.
I'm old enough to remember when from the early 80s until at least the late 90s you could consistently see 15-20 guys in the NFL who played at BYU. A couple would retire every year, but another 3 or 4 would go in. Now there is only like 5 or 6 BYU players total currently in the NFL. I don't follow the NFL that much, but knowing that really bugs me. Historically we're better than this. If the current staff is ok with that, then that's a problem. I fear that Bronco thinks it's ok. Crowton was a terrible coach, but even he kept the pipeline going into the NFL. They just weren't winning when they were at BYU, but the talent was there. The talent has really taken a hit since then.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-06-2015 at 08:48 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I posted the hottest threads on CB are about BYU's recruiting philosophy failures.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I'm old enough to remember when from the early 80s until at least the late 90s you could consistently see 15-20 guys in the NFL who played at BYU. A couple would retire every year, but another 3 or 4 would go in. Now there is only like 5 or 6 BYU players total currently in the NFL. I don't follow the NFL that much, but knowing that really bugs me. Historically we're better than this. If the current staff is ok with that, then that's a problem. I fear that Bronco thinks it's ok.
He loves having kids go to the NFL. See Ziggy Ansah and how Bronco tried to shine in his spotlight.

But he also loves his family and his free time. So when push comes to shove, he'd rather not recruit than get kids into the NFL. He sells the "service academy" model for BYU. Winning with the "right kids." When over and over it is shown that the top LDS kids are ignored or slighted by BYU.

Thanks Tom Holmoe. This is under your watch.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #14
BlueK

Bronco has gotten a lot of mileage from being the anti-Crowton. But it won't last forever.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

what current BYU player is likely to play in the NFL?

I can't think of anyone. Who needs an injury-prone OLD quarterback who struggles with passing?

The most highly touted defensive player is Bronson Kaufusi. Who did about nothing the whole season, couldn't get off blocks, couldn't pressure beans if he was a pressure cooker.

People say "ooo, Warner is so good." No. When Van Noy was a freshman, he showed up. I noticed him the first game. He was different. Not Warner. Just average.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 01-06-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Bronco has gotten a lot of mileage from being the anti-Crowton. But it won't last forever.
It's getting to the point where the younger folks don't remember the Crowton era, much less the Lavell era.

Just mediocrity.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #17
BlueK

Quote:
It's getting to the point where the younger folks don't remember the Crowton era, much less the Lavell era.

Just mediocrity.
I think the people making the decisions still remember Bronco as the coach who stopped the bleeding in the embarrassing scandals department that had become a trainwreck under Crowton. When he started he also almost immediately started winning with Crowton's players, which Crowton wasn't doing. The problem is, the talent declined because his recruiting philosophy isn't sustainable. So the winning has dropped off and we're no longer getting the same caliber of players we used to. The saddest part of that is is we're not getting the same LDS talent we used to. As a long time BYU fan, that really bothers me.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I think the people making the decisions still remember Bronco as the coach who stopped the bleeding in the embarrassing scandals department that had become a trainwreck under Crowton. When he started he also almost immediately started winning with Crowton's players, which Crowton wasn't doing. The problem is, the talent declined because his recruiting philosophy isn't sustainable. So the winning has dropped off and we're no longer getting the same caliber of players we used to. The saddest part of that is is we're not getting the same LDS talent we used to. As a long time BYU fan, that really bothers me.
I recognize that. The elephants are as old as the hills and remember everything. Crowton was a disorganized plays-on-paper-napkins mad scientist coach.

Bronco promised to be the reformer. First season was a bowl loss to finish 6-6 if I recall correctly. But we had the sense that there was someone steady at the helm. And the disasters of zero-effort blowout losses were the rear view mirror. Some good years with Beck and Max Hall at QB. But still did not get over the hump, and it was clear that we were surpassed by schools like Boise State, Utah, and TCU.

We've seen the best that Bronco has to offer. And Bronco, I believe, simultaneously sells excellence and mediocrity. He promises championships and is aspirational, but he also implies that what we have now is the best we can do given the constraints of our religion. We are a service academy of Christ. No one cries when Navy is 7-5. No one should cry if BYU is 8-5.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
BlueK

Quote:
I recognize that. The elephants are as old as the hills and remember everything. Crowton was a disorganized plays-on-paper-napkins mad scientist coach.

Bronco promised to be the reformer. First season was a bowl loss to finish 6-6 if I recall correctly. But we had the sense that there was someone steady at the helm. And the disasters of zero-effort blowout losses were the rear view mirror. Some good years with Beck and Max Hall at QB. But still did not get over the hump, and it was clear that we were surpassed by schools like Boise State, Utah, and TCU.

We've seen the best that Bronco has to offer. And Bronco, I believe, simultaneously sells excellence and mediocrity. He promises championships and is aspirational, but he also implies that what we have now is the best we can do given the constraints of our religion. We are a service academy of Christ. No one cries when Navy is 7-5. No one should cry if BYU is 8-5.
I don't think Bronco thinks 8-5 is ok. But I also think he probably doesn't want to change things in any substantial way. Every year there are things that tease us into thinking greatness is imminent, so Bronco and many of the fans get lulled into a false sense of security. Then stuff happens and we're 8-5 again.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

We are pretty close to the wheels falling off.

On the other hand, if Bronco takes over the defense and can sort out the horrid secondary and no pass rush.

And Taysom Hill has a good season...

Then it will be an enjoyable season. We won't get into a New Year's bowl or anything, but we will be respectable.

But failing #1 or #2, it could be very bad.