cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 03:34 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Predicting the future

the DMN ran an article this past Sunday saying that the Big 12 is going to closely watch what happens this season, and should they be shut out of the playoff again, they will reevaluate their plan. They could get a championship game:

1) with 10 teams, if they get their measure passed next January
2) expand to 12 or more teams

If the Big 12 really wanted BYU, they would have already invited BYU. They don't. Best case for BYU is that the Big 12 reluctantly invites BYU because they feel like they have no better choice.

So this is stacking up to be a very important season for BYU. This would be a horrible year for a debacle season.

So what do we have going for us?
1) good senior QB
2) Bronco running the defense

What do we have going against us?
1) a very difficult schedule for BYU standards
2) The fact that this is the same mediocre BYU with same mediocre players

I predict a very mediocre season with internet fans calling for Bronco to be fired. I predict that BYU will not be invited to the Big 12.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think this season would matter that much.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

it's what have you done for me lately. having a compelling football product does/will/could have mattered. Ask TCU.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's what have you done for me lately. having a compelling football product does/will/could have mattered. Ask TCU.
The probabilities suggest your prognostication may come true. Naturally, I am hoping for a better outcome.

Bronco calling defensive plays gives me confidence. The loss of Williams is immeasurable as the back ups are two steps below him in terms of talent.

The difficult schedule will take a toll in terms of injuries. Even an average season with some signature wins could help BYU get an invite. BYU seems unlikely to receive one though.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Putting our BYU fan tendency toward persecution complex combined with self-loathing aside, from a purely sports perspective, if the Big 12 wants more than ten teams, BYU is by far the best available candidate and it's not even close. Cincinnati? Central Florida? Memphis? Give me a break. No fans. No tradition. All swimming in debt.

Let's be honest. It's down to whether BYU's off the field peculiarities are going to lead to the Big 12 making a dumb decision with expansion. We all know that's true and that's why we're frustrated and are scared of being left out. We know we belong. It's not like Iowa State or Kansas State or Texas Tech are better than us. If we were more like Weber State we'd know we don't make any sense for a P5 conference and therefore wouldn't even be talking about it.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-21-2015 at 02:37 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think you are wearing blue goggles.

Travel is a big deal too for the non-football sports. No Sunday play is a big deal for those sports too.

Dealing with the BS of BYU bureaucracy is another issue as well.

BYU apparently works hard to make sure nothing is easy.

We deserve to be left out. And left out we will be. We will cry out as martyrs and shake our fist at the sky. We will laud ourselves for our superior morals. And be left on the trash heap.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Travel is a big deal too for the non-football sports. No Sunday play is a big deal for those sports too.

We deserve to be left out. And left out we will be. We will cry out as martyrs and shake our fist at the sky. We will laud ourselves for our superior morals. And be left on the trash heap.
This prophecy appears to be true. The Brandon Davies episode bears out that BYU would prefer to be a martyr than to succeed.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

btw, I would have been suspended on CB for saying what I did. "negativity"
Old 08-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Travel is a red herring being raised mostly by W. Virginia. We're closer geographically to most of the Big 12 than W. Virginia is. With divisions it would not be THAT big of a deal, even for non-rev sports. BYU and WVU wouldn't play all that often, and for conference wide events like track, golf, and baseball tournaments, everyone would meet somewhere in the middle anyway. Should be a non-issue. Just an excuse.

The Sunday thing is a big deal in some of the non-rev sports, not really with basketball which hasn't played its tournament on Sunday for several years now. But there has been talk about taking BYU for football only, which I would be ok with.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-21-2015 at 04:12 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

But BYU is in the mountain west, which has few eyeballs. Compared to the east coast which has a lot of eyeballs. If you are going to travel far, why not east? East is better than west.