cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default BYU vs. Boise State

I think we win this one also. BSU wasn't impressive in their opener. Their defense might be pretty good, but is it that much better than Nebraska's? They really shut down Washington's running game, but they were also able to completely stack the box all night because of how horrific UW's passing game is. Our passing game should be much better than Washington's. Also, Boise has small DBs that our receivers should be able to take advantage of. And it was only part of one game, but Mangum showed he can be pretty darn accurate with where he places the ball on his passes. At home especially I think he'll play well, and I like that he has big and skilled veteran receivers to work with.

Also, BSU's offense should have been much better, especially on their own blue turf. They didn't look good at all against UW's defense. Is UW really that good defensively? They're probably ok, but normally at home BSU's offense can beat up an ok, or even a good defense. They have to be a little worried.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

ESPN analytics said before the season started, BSU had a 56% chance of winning.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
ESPN analytics said before the season started, BSU had a 56% chance of winning.
Their game wasn't impressive at all. Doesn't mean they can't play better, but so far they don't look like a typical BSU team. Offensively they were pretty bad. How good is Washington? I don't think they're expected to be very good at all. Based on what we saw, I'm not that worried about this game. We'll see. UCLA and probably Michigan will be tough.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-08-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

They just pranked us. Guess they consider themselves our rivals.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I think we win this one also. BSU wasn't impressive in their opener. Their defense might be pretty good, but is it that much better than Nebraska's? They really shut down Washington's running game, but they were also able to completely stack the box all night because of how horrific UW's passing game is. Our passing game should be much better than Washington's. Also, Boise has small DBs that our receivers should be able to take advantage of. And it was only part of one game, but Mangum showed he can be pretty darn accurate with where he places the ball on his passes. At home especially I think he'll play well, and I like that he has big and skilled veteran receivers to work with.

Also, BSU's offense should have been much better, especially on their own blue turf. They didn't look good at all against UW's defense. Is UW really that good defensively? They're probably ok, but normally at home BSU's offense can beat up an ok, or even a good defense. They have to be a little worried.
After one game, I wouldn't judge BSU. Last year, I believed BYU would thump Boise, and look what happened.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
BlueK

I think it's a little different this year. I remember thinking we'd have a rough game last year. By the time we played them it was mid October, Boise State had a pretty prolific and experienced offense going and we were going in on a three game losing streak with a backup quarterback. And it was on the road. This year I like the matchup with their small DBs and our big receivers. Our O-line played well last week against a D-line that at the very least is comparable to Boise State's, if not better. Mangum is naturally a more accurate passer than Hill, so if he can just find his receivers and place the ball well, I don't know that Boise will be able to handle that very well even if their DBs are in the right place.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-10-2015 at 04:51 PM.