cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default Ucla

I don't really expect BYU to win this one, but I think they can win it if the defense can play well enough to keep it close. The running game finally showed up in the second half last week and Mangum will be ready to run more of the playbook week by week. Looking at the schedule going into the season I thought 2-2 through the first four games would be pretty good. Now we're all going to get greedy and want 3-1 or 4-0.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

We've seen the script before. BYU reels off a couple of good wins including one big upset, and then goes into the third game and gets blown out. Florida State in Provo comes to mind.

Good to keep the expectations low. And realize that there is no way that we end up undefeated. And once we have one loss our destiny is assured.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We've seen the script before. BYU reels off a couple of good wins including one big upset, and then goes into the third game and gets blown out. Florida State in Provo comes to mind.

Good to keep the expectations low. And realize that there is no way that we end up undefeated. And once we have one loss our destiny is assured.
Expectations should be kept reasonable because all but a few programs lose a game here or there. The difficulty for our fanbase is the past years have been littered with unsatisfactory seasons making the program almost relevant. Thus, the hunger for a relevant season makes our disappointment all the greater as reality sets in that a special season is not upon us.

For now, I will continue to dream of a special season until reality comes crashing home.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:24 AM   #4
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Expectations should be kept reasonable because all but a few programs lose a game here or there. The difficulty for our fanbase is the past years have been littered with unsatisfactory seasons making the program almost relevant. Thus, the hunger for a relevant season makes our disappointment all the greater as reality sets in that a special season is not upon us.

For now, I will continue to dream of a special season until reality comes crashing home.
It's not the end of the world if we lose to a good team. Going undefeated in college football isn't a reasonable expectation for anyone except maybe Alabama or Ohio State. I want to beat a few good teams and at least be competitive with the rest while not losing to any G5 teams. So far, so good. I think all of that is a reasonable expectation. The defense is looking better and playing with some toughness and attitude they just didn't have last year. The offense I think will be fine.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Crappy bowl game
Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Crappy bowl game
When was the last time that wasn't the case? The Cotton Bowl? It's not like the MWC had good bowls attached to it. Most BYU fans now don't remember anymore when bowl games were better for us. Once the BcS championship game was established as the only one that mattered and every other bowl locked up both ends, and every BcS league made sure to never play against anyone other than themselves I stopped caring about it much. Now there is very little flexibility in setting up the matchups, and that's why almost all of them are boring duds. I will watch BYU's game, but that's it. And even then I might not.

Oh, I guess the CFP was an improvement last year because it was somewhat of a playoff, although a 4-team playoff is almost as dumb as a 2-team one that we used to have. I just thought it was funny that after every season they forced us the propaganda about how the BcS "got it right" and picked the best two teams, but the very first year of the playoff, of the two teams that made it to the championship game, neither would have been in the BcS championship game. The old system would have given us Alabama vs. undefeated Florida State.

This isn't just a BYU problem. It's a college football problem.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-16-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

what I consider a crappy bowl game for BYU:

1) game played against a non P5 opponent
2) first bowl slot of the season
3) unfavorable date (work day, no vacation) and time (during working hours of work day)
4) very small payout
5) no-winner scenario, if you win no one cares, if you lose it's a big embarrassment
Old 09-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
BlueK

Quote:
what I consider a crappy bowl game for BYU:

1) game played against a non P5 opponent
2) first bowl slot of the season
3) unfavorable date (work day, no vacation) and time (during working hours of work day)
4) very small payout
5) no-winner scenario, if you win no one cares, if you lose it's a big embarrassment
Agreed. those all suck. It's been this way for almost the last 20 years unfortunately.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No it hasn't.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/b...ham_young.html