cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2015, 03:09 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bronco, meet good coach. Good coach, meet Bronco

what an ass-kicking.

We looked like a directional technical institute out there. If I were Bronco I would have driven to the airport at half time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

And Mangum looked like a true freshman quarterback. Ball didn't look like it was coming out of his hand right. Like maybe there was something wrong with his arm. Maybe it was the wind. Pressure up the middle was giving him happy feet, not stepping up and throwing.

It's hard to tell to what degree it was his problem or the receivers' problem or both. Announcers were saying that the receivers were getting no separation.

Just kinda sad to lay an egg like that on national TV. BYU looked like the side-trash receptacle in the women's restroom. I was embarrassed and I don't even know anyone who cares.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Mangum showed his lack of experience, but in his defense, our receivers were beyond AWFUL. The refs were allowing the Michigan DBs to be very physical with them and they just wilted and shrunk rather than get nasty and push back. Even if they would have been flagged for an offensive PI, they had to do it anyway to get the refs' attention and force them to watch what was going on. Without our receivers being able to get open there was no chance for our offense.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm sure several guys who think that they have a chance for the NFL on BYU just saw their stock crater
Old 09-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Mangum showed his lack of experience, but in his defense, our receivers were beyond AWFUL. The refs were allowing the Michigan DBs to be very physical with them and they just wilted and shrunk rather than get nasty and push back. Even if they would have been flagged for an offensive PI, they had to do it anyway to get the refs' attention and force them to watch what was going on. Without our receivers being able to get open there was no chance for our offense.
That's some major home-cooking. Studies have shown that HFA is due primarily to crowd pressure exerted on officials.

I thought the Roughing-the-passer call on Langi was crap.

I'm hearing good explanations on CB that Anae's inability to adjust is to Michigan's CBs playing bump-and-run was Mangum's unfamiliarity with the offense. Oh well.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
That's some major home-cooking. Studies have shown that HFA is due primarily to crowd pressure exerted on officials.

I thought the Roughing-the-passer call on Langi was crap.

I'm hearing good explanations on CB that Anae's inability to adjust is to Michigan's CBs playing bump-and-run was Mangum's unfamiliarity with the offense. Oh well.
Well, his lack of knowledge with the playbook 3 months removed from his mission is hardly shocking. At this point he has raw talent but isn't the polished QB he will be someday. Things will get easier this next game.

I agree that some of the refs' calls early in the game were bad. Michigan's DBs were getting away with blatant holding and PI that wasn't being called. That's why I would have wanted to see our receivers get physcial back. The late hit call on the sideline against us as well as the roughing the passer were terrible calls which killed any chance we had of fighting our way back in.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-28-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, his lack of knowledge with the playbook 3 months removed from his mission is hardly shocking. At this point he has raw talent but isn't the polished QB he will be someday. Things will get easier this next game.

I agree that some of the refs' calls early in the game were bad. Michigan's DBs were getting away with blatant holding and PI that wasn't being called. That's why I would have wanted to see our receivers get physcial back. The late hit call on the sideline against us as well as the roughing the passer were terrible calls which killed any chance we had of fighting our way back in.
It is painful to see another season go down the tubes as the Utes fly high. Predictably, BYU fails to adjust, is outcoached and BYU is relegated to the netherworld of college football.

I predicted TM's limited knowledge of the playbook would get the blame, but now that Michigan has diagrammed how to annihilate the Cougs, it will be interesting how many teams can replicate that performance.

I am truly doubtful that we have a staff capable of producing a memorable season. The staff is capable of delivering 8 and 5 seasons galore and an occasional 9 and 3 or rarely a 10 and 2. It is unlikely we will ever see a 1 or 0 loss team with this coaching staff. And please shoot me the next time I start believing BYU has competent receivers. I fell for it again.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
ChinoCoug

Naw man, we can still beat Mizzou and have an 11-2 season.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

Quote:
How hard can it be to be more physical? Geez. I've never played, but if someone told me, "Be more physical" I could do that.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
How hard can it be to be more physical? Geez. I've never played, but if someone told me, "Be more physical" I could do that.
I would have loved to have seen a BYU receiver just shove one of those stupid DBs. I was a little encouraged today to read that Coach Holliday said he told the receivers to play tougher and hit back. Supposedly UConn has big physical DBs. Their defense is supposed to be good but their offense is bad. We'll see how it goes.