cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Utah does not have similar restrictions in terms of talent they can recruit HUGE difference my friend HUGE.
How many gang bangs does it take to get the right talent in place?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That's cute hyperbole, but again I point you to his record which contradicts you.
It not only contradicts him but makes him look foolish.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
tooblue

Quote:
Makes you miss Crowton doesn't it ... 5 star recruits who don't pan out. Players in the news constantly for reprehensible behavior. Staying up all night dreaming up plays!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What I wouldn't give for a gang-banging, lock down corner right now.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Utah does not have similar restrictions in terms of talent they can recruit -- HUGE difference my friend HUGE.
Talent is irrelevant. The performance (if you can call it that) on Saturday was inexcusable. The apathy and inconsistency from the players, the careless mistakes, the rumors of strife among the teammates... all this points to a breakdown of coaching. Even five star talent across the line won't be successful with a coach who doesn't bother to motivate his players and unite them toward a common goal -- or worse, a coach who actively undermines the pursuit.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:48 AM   #16
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
BM doesn't get it. It's not about "priorities," it's about balance. But you owe it to your family and your soul as well as your employers to give all to your profession. A hallmark of a professional is striving for excellence in his work when he doesn't even feel like working. Nothing should take precedence over the next big game.
I hate to say it, but I agree that Bronco is unprofessional, or at least annoying as hell when he says the following:

1. He's not going to coach for too many more years.

Why not keep that thought to himself? It sounds like either a desperate attempt for more adoration ("No, Bronco. Please stay and coach BYU forever!!") or preparation for a hasty exit as soon as BYU has a bad year.

2. Football is not the top priority. It's way down the list. #5 at least.

Of course it goes without saying that football is just a game. Everybody knows that. But again, it sounds like he's making an excuse for his players and coaches to give less than a full effort. It's unprofessional and doesn't inspire anybody to support the program. The only time I want to hear that football isn't that important is if somebody on the football team or a family member dies. Otherwise, he needs to put this self-evident statement away.

3. Winning will follow if the players execute the offense and defense at a high level.

To me, this sounds like an excuse for lack of creativity and lack of opponent-specific preparation by both the coaches and players. What the hell happened to the Bronco who based his successful defenses on aggression and keeping opposing offenses guessing? Even in the games BYU won this season, I felt like opposing offenses knew where BYU defenders were going to be positioned on every single play.

Anyway, this BYU team actually overachieved in terms of record. They could have very easily been a 5-loss team (Washington and CSU losses) or worse. In a way, the fact that the team won those close games is unfortunate because I'm not sure the coaches and athletic department are going to get the message that the football team was not very good this year.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

I forgot Mendenhall's references to being "booed" by the fans despite the fact that he had won two straight conference championships, etc. That's another thing that has to go -- the hypersensitivity and insecurity over being booed is poor form.

Andy Reid is booed plenty in Philly -- would he ever bitch and moan about it and complain about the fans? No way.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Bronco is going through the Mormon disconnect of being a prophet, and being nit-picked and booed at the same time. Those things don't go together in Mormonism. You don't question your religious leaders. So Bronco has to go through the mental gymnastics of sorting through his demi-god status as well as his "you're just a coach" status. Maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #19
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Talent is irrelevant. The performance (if you can call it that) on Saturday was inexcusable. The apathy and inconsistency from the players, the careless mistakes, the rumors of strife among the teammates... all this points to a breakdown of coaching. Even five star talent across the line won't be successful with a coach who doesn't bother to motivate his players and unite them toward a common goal -- or worse, a coach who actively undermines the pursuit.
Is that what you will be telling yourself after the disaster that will be the OU loss to Florida? Talent means a great deal more than this thread is willing to address. Motivation can only take a team so far, and this team was playing mostly on motivation up until they faced better talent. Regardless, they still won a heck of a lot of games.

Last edited by tooblue; 12-24-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #20
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Bronco was never about coaching football. He was a mediocre DC who gave up 52 points in his final game. His whole creed from the getgo was that he was going to morally clean the team and see what kind of goodness would flow from it. After the Crowton era, that came across as particularly appealing, especially in light of the Y's top coaching choice signing elsewhere and the pickens growing slim.

The '06 team had so much talent that, to plagarize Jerry Jones in '95, 100 coaches could have gone 11-2 with that lineup. Bronco was more of a beneficiary of what was handed to him than anything he'd done fundamentally.

Props to Bronco though for loving the gospel. He loves giving firesides and loves the teaching aspect. He's found a way to go about preaching without having to be called as a file leader or GA first. Props to him for that, it's what he wanted. However, in terms of administration, he wants to be Father Mulcahey, not Colonel Potter. What that school aught to do is appoint him Religious Coordinator and bring in someone else to actually coach football.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote