cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone watch the Dateline special on catching internet predators? They were setting up grown by posing as 13 year old boys and girls and inviting them to their house where no parents were at.

I was watcing it during the Heat/Mavs game and they caught over 100 men, in five different cities in 12 hours of work.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #12
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I remember hearing that because the men didn't actually molest anyone, they had to be let go, and some were caught again a couple of days later in the same way.

Is that true?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

It seemed to me they were arresting these people and putting them into jail. They were charging them with a list of crimes, traveling with the intent to committ a felony, iliciting sex from a minor, etc.

The sickest example was one man who came to meet a 13 year old boy accompanied with his 4 year old son.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

That was sick. I saw that special too. I couldn't believe how many (apparently) reputable people they were catching. One guy was a school teacher, another was a theology student, i think there was a former cop, a medic...some really sick guys...and yeah, most of them got jail time for intent.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

Okay, that's something that bugs me. Why is "stalking a minor on the internet and convincing her to meet you for sex" any better than "stalking a minor on the internet, convincing her to meet you for sex, and actually doing it"?

Maybe if the reason the guy didn't follow through was that his conscience kicked in at the last second or something, sure, I'm fine with him getting a lesser sentence. But in this case, the only thing that stopped them was the fact that they got busted!

It's like attempted murder. Why is trying to kill someone better than actually killing someone?

Some lawyer help me out here.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #16
purplmonkeydishwashr

purplmonkeydishwashr

I have to say, my favorite part of those shows is when the pervert is walking out the door after the confrontation. You can almost see the look of relief on their face as they think they have gotten away with just a warning. Right up until they get tackled by the cops.
purplmonkeydishwashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #17
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Okay, that's something that bugs me. Why is "stalking a minor on the internet and convincing her to meet you for sex" any better than "stalking a minor on the internet, convincing her to meet you for sex, and actually doing it"?

Maybe if the reason the guy didn't follow through was that his conscience kicked in at the last second or something, sure, I'm fine with him getting a lesser sentence. But in this case, the only thing that stopped them was the fact that they got busted!

It's like attempted murder. Why is trying to kill someone better than actually killing someone?

Some lawyer help me out here.
I guess the short answer is that intent is only part of the equation. Outcome matters as well. This is for the reason that there is a retributive aspect to punishment and the retribution is, at least in theory, in proportion to the wrong.

That said, in my perfect world the difference between the attempt and the completed crime should be the difference between 15 years and 25-life.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:21 PM   #18
TyronneBiggums

TyronneBiggums is on a distinguished road

I think we should just execute Ninja fag.
TyronneBiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #19
JohnnyLingo

Ah, Mr. Biggums... defender of pedophiles!

Welcome to the board! You will find friends here, though maybe not any as brave as you in announcing their "tastes".
Old 06-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #20
TyronneBiggums

TyronneBiggums is on a distinguished road

You're more of a pedaphile than I am you stupid stupid bitch.
TyronneBiggums is offline   Reply With Quote