cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the relationship between LDS and Mulsim religions?

Or better put, how is the LDS leadership positioning itself in relation to Islam?

On my mission, we were expressly forbidden to teach any Muslims. This only came up once during my mission (not a Muslim area). I didn't understand the practice, and I don't recall that my mission president had a good explanation. I seem to recall that some have said it is for the protection of those that would convert to our faith, that they not be punished (i.e. killed).

CNN reports that Salmon Rushdie is calling for a reformation of Islam. http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...die/index.html

I'm afraid that's going to be received as well as ETB's grandon calling for a reformation of Mormonism.

Speaking of reformations, I have been of the opinion that in the last 20 years or so, there has been the definite trend to emphasize Christ more during meetings. This has gone hand-in-hand with a decrease in emphasis on Joseph Smith and the restoration.

So our ward has gone out of its way to assign many talks related to Joseph Smith.

(just a little aside: I am an active member, with calling etc. I've just always been interested in Mormon culture).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote