cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does it make sense to separate Boys and Girls into 2 different tracks?

Boys - cub scouts, 11 year old scouts, boy scouts, varsity scouts, venturing scouts.

Girls - activity days, then whatever it is that they do in beehives/miamaids/laurels. Heck their name even has "maid" in it. I honestly don't know what they do. I see girls doing crafts, but I assume that they do not do that all the time.

We constantly hear the refrain about preparing boys for missions. Are we supposed to prepare girls for missions? Prepare boys to the righteous holders of the priesthood. What are girls supposed to be prepared for?

I hear that we should prepare boys to do the work that the EQ and HP groups do. What exactly is that work? Home teaching? Moving help? Clean the church once a year?

The Relief Society in my ward is more involved in the community and does more service than the men.

I guess we might spend 2 to 3 times more money from the ward budget on the average boy compared to the average girl.

Does that make sense?

What is it that the boys need to know that the girls don't, and vice versa?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Boys - cub scouts, 11 year old scouts, boy scouts, varsity scouts, venturing scouts.

Girls - activity days, then whatever it is that they do in beehives/miamaids/laurels. Heck their name even has "maid" in it. I honestly don't know what they do. I see girls doing crafts, but I assume that they do not do that all the time.

We constantly hear the refrain about preparing boys for missions. Are we supposed to prepare girls for missions? Prepare boys to the righteous holders of the priesthood. What are girls supposed to be prepared for?

I hear that we should prepare boys to do the work that the EQ and HP groups do. What exactly is that work? Home teaching? Moving help? Clean the church once a year?

The Relief Society in my ward is more involved in the community and does more service than the men.

I guess we might spend 2 to 3 times more money from the ward budget on the average boy compared to the average girl.

Does that make sense?

What is it that the boys need to know that the girls don't, and vice versa?
Scouting costs A LOT of money. As a financial clerk I seemed to notice that was the main reason more money went to the boys. The BSA makes a killing on uniforms, books, membership fees, etc., and in our church we pay for most of it through the budget. FOS money goes to the local council. National is financed by the annual membership fees (which the church pays itself for every LDS scout and leader) and everything they sell with the BSA brand on it.

Last edited by BlueK; 07-28-2015 at 09:54 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:51 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've never known ward budgets to pay for uniforms and books. Patches and advancement ranks, yes. And of course registration fees.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The greatest expense is summer camp. Followed by patches and camping fees (monthly campouts). If leaders charge for gas, that blows the budget.

And of course high adventure.

Summer camp and high adventure are paid for by parents, fundraisers, and ward benefactors typically.