cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utah male Mormons leaving the church

http://janariess.religionnews.com/20...ially-in-utah/

I have no idea if Mormonism is changing in Utah. It's out of my realm of experience and observation.

But perhaps it is concern about this that drives the recent emphasis on Sabbath observance. There in Utah they see the old order breaking down and the secular order coming up like it is elsewhere. Youth leagues with games on Sunday. Fun run 5ks on Sunday. And whatever else that is on Sunday in other places in other states.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:21 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

150 single Mormon women to 100 single Mormon men in Utah.

http://janariess.religionnews.com/20...women-screwed/

That's a staggering number.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

There are many factors combining for that development, IMHO.

Divorce and the lack of support men receive within the Church as divorced dads. There is no place for a single divorced dad and no support.

The internet makes cloaking information impossible. Thus, many are coming to grips with historical matters and the Church has inadequate responses for the questions that arise.

The Church is responding poorly to current social issues such as gay marriage or the involvement of women.

Women in Utah are accustomed to a patriarchal role and being subservient, so they will conform more readily than the men upon whom burdens are placed. Utah culture also discourages equal education of women, so many women ignore issues which cause me to leave.

Those issues seem to create the perfect storm lessening the interest for men in Utah. Leadership will characterize it as "faithfulness" and "holding to the iron rod," but the fault lies in not having answers to these questions. Unless leadership discovers answers, Mormonism growth is in serious jeopardy.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There are many factors combining for that development, IMHO.

Divorce and the lack of support men receive within the Church as divorced dads. There is no place for a single divorced dad and no support.

The internet makes cloaking information impossible. Thus, many are coming to grips with historical matters and the Church has inadequate responses for the questions that arise.

The Church is responding poorly to current social issues such as gay marriage or the involvement of women.

Women in Utah are accustomed to a patriarchal role and being subservient, so they will conform more readily than the men upon whom burdens are placed. Utah culture also discourages equal education of women, so many women ignore issues which cause me to leave.

Those issues seem to create the perfect storm lessening the interest for men in Utah. Leadership will characterize it as "faithfulness" and "holding to the iron rod," but the fault lies in not having answers to these questions. Unless leadership discovers answers, Mormonism growth is in serious jeopardy.
Also, I think the Utah LDS culture tends to treat never-married LDS men even worse than the divorced. Some of that still carries over to other areas, but it's not as bad because outside of the LDS culture there isn't a stigma attached to men who are still single into their late 20s. That, combined with having more converts who are less likely to look down on singles tends to make a more friendly environment.

Another thing to consider is that men are probably much more likely to leave Utah for career opportunities than the women are. I was single for a long time, and in the YSA wards I attended outside of Utah there were always more men than women. And it may seem counterintuitive to someone who has fully bought into and embraced Utah-LDS culture, but if I were personally giving advice to a young daughter/niece/friend who lives in Utah and is LDS, I would encourage her to pursue a good college education. Then after obtaining that, if she's still single I'd counsel her to not be afraid to leave the state of Utah to take a good job opportunity, because when they'd get to a YSA ward in a large metro area they would find a much more favorable male/female ratio, and the LDS males are going to be on the average more educated and higher income than what they'll see in Utah.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-17-2015 at 04:02 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Well at least it's not 600 to 100, like Isaiah saw.

Yet.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Also, I think the Utah LDS culture tends to treat never-married LDS men even worse than the divorced. Some of that still carries over to other areas, but it's not as bad because outside of the LDS culture there isn't a stigma attached to men who are still single into their late 20s. That, combined with having more converts who are less likely to look down on singles tends to make a more friendly environment.

Another thing to consider is that men are probably much more likely to leave Utah for career opportunities than the women are. I was single for a long time, and in the YSA wards I attended outside of Utah there were always more men than women. And it may seem counterintuitive to someone who has fully bought into and embraced Utah-LDS culture, but if I were personally giving advice to a young daughter/niece/friend who lives in Utah and is LDS, I would encourage her to pursue a good college education. Then after obtaining that, if she's still single I'd counsel her to not be afraid to leave the state of Utah to take a good job opportunity, because when they'd get to a YSA ward in a large metro area they would find a much more favorable male/female ratio, and the LDS males are going to be on the average more educated and higher income than what they'll see in Utah.
Good point. My b-in-law met his wife in the DC area.

I can only imagine the general hell that is being Mormon mid-single.