cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Issues with language.

One of the reasons why people seem to be attracted to this board seems to be its more liberal use of language. I understand and appreciate it when talking about more sensitive topics, or quoting hell fire and damnation scriptures and such. But I have never really understood people who like to just casually swear.

Is it because it makes you look smarter or its funny to be crude now and then? I just read Fusnik11's post about wearing white shirts where he said “i looked like a metrosexual asshole, and i for sure thought the pink shirt was the shit!”

I don’t really find it all that offensive, I just don’t understand its attraction, its charm.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

In fairness to fusnik, I believe he was paraphrasing something that surfa33 had sad in a previous post. I have no problem with salty language. Take the word "asshole", for example. What other word conveys the same meaning and nuance as the word asshole? If you come up with something, let me know.

I'm not sure why this site occasionally brings out the more colorful side of people, but I do know that the language you use depends a lot on the people with whom you surround yourself. For example, if I'm golfing with my brother and I hit a ball out of bounds, I'll probably say "Oh shit!". If I'm with my dad, it'll probably be "Oh crap!". But if I'm by myself I'm more likely to use the colloquial form of "maternal copulator". I don't have to tell you which is the most cathartic.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Take the word "asshole", for example. What other word conveys the same meaning and nuance as the word asshole? If you come up with something, let me know.
How about prick?

It hadn't even occurred to me that people swear here.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Alkili

boor, bounder, clown, creep, cur, curl, dog, heel, knave, louse, lout, maggot, rake, rascal, rat, rogue, rotter, rounder, scoundrel, sleazeball, slimebucket, stinker, worm, jerk, pud

In truth I'm not sure exactly what asshole means, I don't think I've ever called anyone that since I was about 15 or so. I find jerk pretty much covers anything I'm trying to convey to someone.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

While not a fan of profanity, the occasional mild epithet doens't bother me.

I must admit, however, that I had never considered the possiblity that the word 'asshole' conveyed a nuanced, that is a subtle, disitcintion or meaning.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
Alkili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Swearing can be a lot of fun. It isn't that a person can not think of other words that mean the same thing, it has nothing to do with a person's intelligence, and it has little to do with upbringing. Swearing is a harmless taboo. You get the kick from being 'bad' without really being BAD. And that makes it cathartic (as non sequitur points out) and fun. Still, I watch out who I swear around, because colorful language can hurt some people's feelings.

In my home I have taught my son all of the swear words and he is allowed to use them freely (he is six). Rather than teaching him that these words are bad, we emphasize that using them around others can hurt people's feelings. This way the emphasis is on personal character rather than taboo. We give him less material to rebel against when he is a teen, and kindness and generosity become the motivation for good behavior.

So far so good.
I don't know how to resopond to you, I know you aren't LDS as in you don't believe in the LDS church? What do you believe in, it obvious that you believe in something otherwise why would you care about your son.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
How about prick?
One of my personal favorites. I've been banned twice on CougarBoard for using that word. The reason I like using the word on CB is because Jefe's filter doesn't catch it.

If you're talking about swearing as an art form, you can do no better than the exchange between Prince Henry and Falstaff in King Henry IV:
Quote:
PRINCE HENRY: ...this sanguine coward, this bed-presser, this horseback-breaker, this huge hill of flesh,--

FALSTAFF: 'Sblood, you starveling, you elf-skin, you dried neat's tongue, you bull's pizzle, you stock-fish! O for breath to utter what is like thee! you tailor's-yard, you sheath, you bowcase; you vile standing-tuck,--
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin

My personal rules of posting:

Try to post something provocative
Check.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found that often psychiatrists (at least in my dept.) will swear when talking about clinical care. It is often done with the pretense that "we are now getting real." It annoys me, because I find it pretentious. And I have said as much to my colleagues.

How much you swear can also indicate your socioeconomic status.

I sorta went out with a girl once that tried to impress me (I thought) by swearing and running red lights (late at night). I was not impressed.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote