cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Profanity is a shortcut for finer expression.

Not everybody here ascribes to who President Kimball was, but he stated, "Profanity is the effort of a weak mind seeking to express itself forcefully."

I do profane from time to time, not that I'm proud of it.

To me, profanity is simply laziness. There are always more colorful ways of expression, I'm just too lazy to think them up.

There is one expression which describes certain situations for which I have not been able to find an adequate substitute. "Mind f...".

I truly hate the f... word. It's origin is one of true ugliness.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #22
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #23
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
Robin

r.f.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I've been known to say things that would make mechanics and truckers blush.

Honestly, one of the all time funniest swearing moments in history, and yes I realize just how big of a dork this makes me is the scene in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, when Spock is asking Admiral Kirk about "colorful metaphors" such as "Double Dumb Ass On you".

It became a long running joke with my friends, and a couple of brothers to suddenly pull out the...."Well Double Dumb Ass On You!" card when we're just talking about whatever....no real rules applied for it's application.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #26
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Robin, while I applaud your thoughtful approach to child-rearing, I respectfully suggest that you are likely to be surprised at what issues your child will shoose to rebel against as he gets older. It just isn't predictable. Careful and thoughtful parenting is obviously important, but they are all unique indivduals (which reminds me of my favortie scene from The Life of Brian, but I digress... ) and during the teen years their behavior can become quite unpredictable.

As to the swearing issue, while your humanist rationale is fine, I am not sure I understand the need to teach him the swear words first. When he hits puberty how are you going to teach him about prudent sexual practices while eliminating the 'taboo?'
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #27
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin

What guides my morality? Something of a categorical imperative, the mantra of 'do unto others,' the desire to live at peace in my world, and the joy that kindness and love bring to me in my life. I like the Buddhist version of the golden rule, to recognize that through infinite ages, we have each been a brother, a mother, a child, to all others. I don't believe that in a literal sense, but I try to meditate on the thought image of universal oneness, trying to let the natural affinity I have for my own family to exist for all.
So it is just some type of arbitrary rule that you follow, the idea that kindness to kittens is some how more admirable then not. What I mean is there is no other authority then yourself on what is right or wrong? Am I interpreting this correctly, or am I missing something?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #28
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
boor, bounder, clown, creep, cur, curl, dog, heel, knave, louse, lout, maggot, rake, rascal, rat, rogue, rotter, rounder, scoundrel, sleazeball, slimebucket, stinker, worm, jerk, pud
Well, I think you just proved his point. That list of words reminded me of an episode of Spin City several years back when one character used the word "poppycock" and his buddy said "that means nonsense when translated from the gay."

I also can't really agree with you that the attraction of this board to anybody has been swearing. There has been very little of it that I've noted.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #29
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
So it is just some type of arbitrary rule that you follow, the idea that kindness to kittens is some how more admirable then not. What I mean is there is no other authority then yourself on what is right or wrong? Am I interpreting this correctly, or am I missing something?
Son of a bitch! I liked this thread a lot more when we were talking about cuss
words. :wink:
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #30
Robin

r.f.