cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 AM   #21
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Nice.

200,000 or so blacks fought for the Union during the Civil War. It was also interesting to learn the extent to which slaves pushed the emancipation issue. They forced Union armies to respond with policies by rushing to their camps. Union attitude slowly evolved from refusing to return them, to confiscating slaves used in the war effort, to confiscating slaves whose owners supported the war effort, to emancipation en masse; none of that would have happened if it were not for slaves leaving their masters behind in substantial numbers.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #22
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Where's the original document? How do we know this wasn't dressed up or fabricated like what those monks sometimes did with the ancient writings? I'm betting there's no original.
Seattle, I thought you were going to come up with a more sophisticated, logical, historically based argument why this propechy isn't a big deal but I guess American history is not your strength.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think the fact that the avg. Mormon member might not be able to tell you about this prophecy tells you about its value and relevance in the church.
All that tells you is that the average member isn't reading their scriptures, I guess. It's not like you need to dig to find this prophecy.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-07-2007 at 05:07 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #24
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
All that tells you is that the average member isn't reading their scriptures, I guess. It's not like you need to dig to find this prophecy.
It's just balancing out the Trivial Pursuit scales:

Joseph Smith's Polygamy on one side, Civil War Prophecies on the other.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's just balancing out the Trivial Pursuit scales:

Joseph Smith's Polygamy on one side, Civil War Prophecies on the other.
That's easy. JS polygamy wins by a landslide.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think the fact that the avg. Mormon member might not be able to tell you about this prophecy tells you about its value and relevance in the church.
Given the threefold mission of The Church, I think you are correct. Little value in that regard.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's easy. JS polygamy wins by a landslide.
Given the threefold mission of the church...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Given the threefold mission of the church...
Question for you, Indy. You keep insisting that historical evidence of JS not only engaging in polygamy, but polyandry, child-brides, etc. is "trivial" and not worthy of discussion by the church or official LDS historians. I understand your logic, but I am curious if there is anything that would give you pause or that you would consider "non-trivial".
Old 11-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #29
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Question for you, Indy. You keep insisting that historical evidence of JS not only engaging in polygamy, but polyandry, child-brides, etc. is "trivial" and not worthy of discussion by the church or official LDS historians. I understand your logic, but I am curious if there is anything that would give you pause or that you would consider "non-trivial".
Given the repeated spiritual witnesses I've had over many years, probably not.

I didn't say they weren't worthy of discussion, they just aren't worthy of being part of some standard church curriculum. IMO, one of the reasons (I didn't say the only reason) the church doesn't really go into detail about Joseph Smith's multiple relationships is simply because the details just aren't that good or reliable. There's too many "fill in the blanks" that aren't resolved and can unnecessarily be taken the worst way possible.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
IMO, one of the reasons (I didn't say the only reason) the church doesn't really go into detail about Joseph Smith's multiple relationships is simply because the details just aren't that good or reliable. There's too many "fill in the blanks" that aren't resolved and can unnecessarily be taken the worst way possible.
You are just kidding yourself here. There is a wealth of information written about the relationships by faithful members of the church, most significantly by the multiple wives themselves. One of which was my ancestor (Caroline Partridge). She and others gave plenty of detail.