cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default Interesting study

http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2008/...astestgrow.php
Old 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
And as we all know, the true church should always have the fastest growth rate, as evidenced by both modern and ancient history.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Interesting that the Catholics actually had a net increase, despite the scandals of the last several years. I think it wasn't 10 years ago they were losing people hand over fist.

I'd like to see a comparative study of relative activity in each of these faiths. I'd wager the Mormons and the JW's have much higher rates than many of the others. I remember being on my mission in Germany and sort of apologetically explaining that our wards typically had less than 50% attending. One woman's eyes about popped out of her head. "FIFTY percent?? Our pastors would KILL for that kind of attendance."

All about expectations, I guess. Heh.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
And as we all know, the true church should always have the fastest growth rate, as evidenced by both modern and ancient history.
A lot of LDS I've talked to seem to believe it. And it is kind of interesting that your first response to this article is to defend the church. Doesn't that imply that deep down, we feel like the #1 position ought to be OUR spot?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Quote:
A lot of LDS I've talked to seem to believe it. And it is kind of interesting that your first response to this article is to defend the church. Doesn't that imply that deep down, we feel like the #1 position ought to be OUR spot?
It was a pre-emptive response to those who base their indictments of LDS conversion rates on the premise that the only true and living church should have the highest conversion rate.

No, I don't believe that our conversion rate should be the highest. There are no historical precedents from previous dispensations to justify that expectation. In fact, doesn't the fact that there have been multiple dispensations prove exactly the opposite?

Last edited by Indy Coug; 02-18-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
All-American

Quote:
It was a pre-emptive response to those who base their indictments of LDS conversion rates on the premise that the only true and living church should have the highest conversion rate.

No, I don't believe that our conversion rate should be the highest. There are no historical precedents from previous dispensations to justify that expectation. In fact, doesn't the fact that there have been multiple dispensations prove exactly the opposite?
See, YOU know that, and I know that, but there's an awful lot of people out there who either don't know it or don't believe it. Goodness knows I've heard a lot of LDS congratulate themselves on being the fastest growing church in the world, as though that particular feather in the cap made the calling and election of the church sure.

Members who have been paying attention, of course, will have noticed that the leaders of the church have been keeping an eye on the growth of the church for some time.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Quote:
See, YOU know that, and I know that, but there's an awful lot of people out there who either don't know it or don't believe it. Goodness knows I've heard a lot of LDS congratulate themselves on being the fastest growing church in the world, as though that particular feather in the cap made the calling and election of the church sure.

Members who have been paying attention, of course, will have noticed that the leaders of the church have been keeping an eye on the growth of the church for some time.
The LDS church manages growth a lot better than in the past, even the recent past. If the LDS church was really concerned about conversion rates, they'd super-saturate the more productive proselyting areas, damned be the consequences.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on what I'm hearing from higher ups, I believe the church is very concerned about low growth numbers in the USA. Our stake is very focused on improving missionary work.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Indy Coug

I'm waiting for a General Conference centering its attention on the low LDS birthrate.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
All-American

Quote:
The LDS church manages growth a lot better than in the past, even the recent past. If the LDS church was really concerned about conversion rates, they'd super-saturate the more productive proselyting areas, damned be the consequences.
Notice-- I said "GROWTH of the church", not "conversion rates."