cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
Anthesian

Anthesian is on a distinguished road
Default Gay and Mormon

I'm gay and Mormon. I don't support the position the church takes on this subject. I have been with my partner for 3 years and we have a gospel and Christ centered relationship.

The suicides of gay Mormons is unexcusable. I take something that a former bishop once said very seriously: "Any moral standard or principle that drives a child of God to do harm to another or to him/herself is no moral standard". This means that "To the One", and "For the Young Men Only" no longer stand up to the true teachings of Christ.

I believe this is one aspect of life that the General Authorities are getting wrong.

My partner and I love the Lord and do the best we can to serve him.

I appreciate the honesty and willingness of members of this board to express them selves so bluntly.

Dwayne
Anthesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Was your partner also raised Mormon? If he was, that's a blessing you two found each other.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Anthesian

Yes, he was raised Mormon. I was inactive while he was on his mission. He reactivated me and we met up after he got home when we were both at ASU. Started out as friendship but turned into the loving relationship we have now.

Dwayne
Old 07-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthesian View Post
Yes, he was raised Mormon. I was inactive while he was on his mission. He reactivated me and we met up after he got home when we were both at ASU. Started out as friendship but turned into the loving relationship we have now.

Dwayne
Do you both attend Sunday meetings? If you do, how do the members treat you and how do you feel there? If you don't, did you once try but stop?

Sorry for the 20 questions; I have several gay mormon friends, but not two who remain believers in the Church and who are committed to each other.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
Anthesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Do you both attend Sunday meetings? If you do, how do the members treat you and how do you feel there? If you don't, did you once try but stop?

Sorry for the 20 questions; I have several gay mormon friends, but not two who remain believers in the Church and who are committed to each other.
We do still attend. The members are very welcoming. The bishop has a gay son who is in a committed relationship. He is very understanding. We are comfortable. We do service work just like anyone else in the church and engage in as much as we can. We don't teach in church but are welcome to bear testimony and engage in discussion. The gospel blesses our lives as a couple. Christ is the center and so we are very blessed.

Dwayne
Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Levin

Quote:
We do still attend. The members are very welcoming. The bishop has a gay son who is in a committed relationship. He is very understanding. We are comfortable. We do service work just like anyone else in the church and engage in as much as we can. We don't teach in church but are welcome to bear testimony and engage in discussion. The gospel blesses our lives as a couple. Christ is the center and so we are very blessed.

Dwayne
If anything will change the church's teachings on homosexuality, it will be this precise situation.

I'm convinced that what is changing the nation's attitude is that gay people are our neighbors -- our good neighbors -- and the ignorance dissipates. Its the breaking up of gay centers and their dispersion into suburbia.

Can you imagine if every ward had a couple like you? I doubt that all would be as welcoming.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Anthesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm glad you found us here. I hope you stick around.

I greatly admire your ability to not throw out all the good the Church has to offer when it stabs you in the heart as it is in the California constitution fight now beginning.

Your bishop sounds great. Let's hope he one day becomes a GA.
The gospel is true no matter what. The physical institution and the people are the imperfections. We believe in the absolute love of Christ as Christ expressed. Not the pick and choose style many members of the church have.

Dwayne
Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Levin

Quote:

Can you imagine if every ward had a couple like you? I doubt that all would be as welcoming.
But my point is that it would change many peoples' attitudes.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Anthesian

Quote:
If anything will change the church's teachings on homosexuality, it will be this precise situation.

I'm convinced that what is changing the nation's attitude is that gay people are our neighbors -- our good neighbors -- and the ignorance dissipates. Its the breaking up of gay centers and their dispersion into suburbia.

I agree.

Not everyone is fully comfortable with us. The majority is though. We are planning to adopt 2 twin girls. My partner's dad will give one a baby blessing and my dad is going to give the other hers. Our families and our close friends and neighbors are our biggest supporters.

Dwayne
Old 07-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Levin

Quote:
I agree.

Not everyone is fully comfortable with us. The majority is though. We are planning to adopt 2 twin girls. My partner's dad will give one a baby blessing and my dad is going to give the other hers. Our families and our close friends and neighbors are our biggest supporters.

Dwayne
You are blessed with a very loving family, ward, and neighborhood. Congrats on the two little girls! Where are the girls from?

My wife is pregnant and we're hoping to high heaven that it's a little girl.

Last edited by Levin; 07-11-2008 at 12:09 PM.