cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 AM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
lol.. who the hell is this aaron guy? I've been missing out..
He's come to cougarguard to save our souls. He's gone from entertaining to annoying in a hurry though.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #12
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Aaron,

Satan called and said he wants you to be a little more subtle.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:59 AM   #13
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
He's come to cougarguard to save our souls. He's gone from entertaining to annoying in a hurry though.

hmm.. i'm just now experiencing the wonder that is aaron through the search feature.. I feel sorry for the guy.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaron is a self-described iconoclast. He is trying to destroy what he assumes are our icons. This latest foray suggests he has given up on us, that even his love for us has its limits.

Challenged many times to share with us his beliefs, rather than his unbeliefs, he has refused to respond. Whether it is wisdom, shame, or cowardice that prevents him from engaging us with "the good word," I'm not sure. I suspect it is cowardice. He fears his beliefs and practices cannot survive the same scrutiny he requires of others.

I don't get the sense that Aaron is long for this place. It hasn't been all that nice and sadly, he's done nothing to change my assumptions of what his ilk is all about.

Aaron, keep up the alienation campaign. It bears very little fruit, but should make for some great stories to send back to Illinois. And after all, this has been all about you anyway.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Aaron is a self-described iconoclast. He is trying to destroy what he assumes are our icons. This latest foray suggests he has given up on us, that even his love for us has its limits.

Challenged many times to share with us his beliefs, rather than his unbeliefs, he has refused to respond. Whether it is wisdom, shame, or cowardice that prevents him from engaging us with "the good word," I'm not sure. I suspect it is cowardice. He fears his beliefs and practices cannot survive the same scrutiny he requires of others.

I don't get the sense that Aaron is long for this place. It hasn't been all that nice and sadly, he's done nothing to change my assumptions of what his ilk is all about.

Aaron, keep up the alienation campaign. It bears very little fruit, but should make for some great stories to send back to Illinois. And after all, this has been all about you anyway.
Look it wastes a hell of a lot less energy to just say the kid is an asshole.

I don't understand the loquaciousness that becomes you dignified and good tempered folk. Your roots are rural Idaho and if you understood that you could say what you want in far fewer words and President iwannbeag.a. would have promoted you to the lofty echelons of APhood!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Look it wastes a hell of a lot less energy to just say the kid is an asshole.

I don't understand the loquaciousness that becomes you dignified and good tempered folk. Your roots are rural Idaho and if you understood that you could say what you want in far fewer words and President iwannbeag.a. would have promoted you to the lofty echelons of APhood!
Yeah, I know, but mrs. myboynoah is a convert and tends to the Elder Packer side of the church. "Stupid" is banned in my house. "Asshole" doesn't even exist. I'm compensating here.

As for President iwannabeag.a., I sense he had his scope out the first time he saw my application picture. Damned blonde-haired, blue-eyed Elders from Utah.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
Packer's talk is full of content for discussion. Compare it with the reputation of Jesus:
The world is full of churches with priests, youth pastors, and ministers of every sort exhorting young people to dress modestly. If you've spent even a little time in almost any church, and especially working with young people, you've heard that sort of thing.

And moreover, anyone who speaks as much as Boyd K. Packer does is going to say some things that are ill-considered. But encouragement to dress modestly and groom one's self does not have to turn into a "judge quickly and by appearances" sort of admonition.

I'm really more interested in your:

A. continued use of circular reasoning. What do you think you're accomplishing? You're convinced that your views are correct. You're your own biggest fan. We got that.

and

B. Your reliance on the ESV. Are you one of those who traded in your NIV? Are you a word-for-word translation guy? Do you give any credibility to the dynamic equivalence arguments? Do you use the Isaiah 7: 14 test?

When I want to get down to business on a particular verse or issue I pick up the NRSV, NASB, ESV, NIV, NJB, KJV (LDS edition), and NKJV, and put what I find in dialectic. Once in a blue moon I look something up in one of the historical versions like Tyndale's or Cromwell's. I also use a Greek interlinear and have made much use of the Anchor Bible Dictionary at the library.

For the record, here's how my other translations render Matt. 22:16 (since you've already cited the ESV I'll omit it):

NRSV: So they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, ‘Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and teach the way of God in accordance with truth, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality.

NASB: And they sent their disciples to Him, along with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that You are truthful and teach the way of God in truth, and defer to no one; for You are not partial to any.

NIV: They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are.

NJB: And they sent their disciples to him, together with some Herodians, to say, 'Master, we know that you are an honest man and teach the way of God in all honesty, and that you are not afraid of anyone, because human rank means nothing to you.

KJV (I use the LDS edition): And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.

NKJV: And they sent to Him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that You are true, and teach the way of God in truth; nor do You care about anyone, for You do not regard the person of men.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 01-19-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #18
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

To be fair, the original Greek words πρόσωπον ἀνθρώπων" do primarily denote outward appearance, though it can be used figuratively (as it almost certainly does in this case-- which fact Aaron almost certainly knows).
Old 01-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #19
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
To be fair, the original Greek words πρόσωπον ἀνθρώπων" do primarily denote outward appearance, though it can be used figuratively (as it almost certainly does in this case-- which fact Aaron almost certainly knows).
Yep and yep.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the thoroughness, but doing that will cut down on one's internet research.

Remember Hugh Grant's line in there about "internet research"? tic for those who are humor impaired.