cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How True do you think the Book of Mormon is?
Every word of it is true. 8 22.86%
It's mostly true, but with a couple of errors. 11 31.43%
The events are more or less true, but reported with an extreme historical bias. 6 17.14%
The text could very roughly correlate to a plausible series of events. 3 8.57%
Some Joe pulled the thing out of his hat. It's false. 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #31
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
When was he a hero for Mormons?

I have not seen him mentioned. I liked him, as a kid, when I wasn't LDS. Was he LDS?

He just seemed to have some cool adventures, that was all.
The LDS apparently also revere a prophecy Thomas Jefferson made about the restoration. I learn more things from SU . . .
Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
When was he a hero for Mormons?

I have not seen him mentioned. I liked him, as a kid, when I wasn't LDS. Was he LDS?

He just seemed to have some cool adventures, that was all.
When I was a missionary a major portion of the discusisons was adapted from his theories.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
When I was a missionary a major portion of the discusisons was adapted from his theories.
I am sure most current missionaries have never heard of him.

I served from 80-82 and never heard of the guy on my mission. Didn't know much about him until I visited the museum in Oslo a few years back.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 AM   #34
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Then mark the last option and move along, instead of being an asswipe.

I'm simply trying to find out how many people on this board think that the the names and characters spoken of in the Book of Mormon correspond to actual historical figures. As ridiculous as you believe such a prospect may be, at least two thirds of the people that responded to the question feel otherwise.
Two-thirds of a message board fdedicated to the sports programs of the flagship university, which has a very restrictive enrollment to the supposedly the best of the faithful, and many of whom have been specifically trained to recruit people to believe this is true. I'm not sure that that constitutes a ringing endorsement.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure what is meant by "true." For example, if I think Nephi fudges a little, but that Nephi existed, do I say that the Book of Nephi is true?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 AM   #36
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Two-thirds of a message board fdedicated to the sports programs of the flagship university, which has a very restrictive enrollment to the supposedly the best of the faithful, and many of whom have been specifically trained to recruit people to believe this is true. I'm not sure that that constitutes a ringing endorsement.
This board has open enrollment, however. Very obviously not the best of the faithful.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 AM   #37
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
A ringing endorsement that it is true? No. But to say that every person who believes the Book of Mormon to be true is simply incapable of thinking clearly, when those of the present company disposed to so believe outnumber those who feel otherwise by more than a 2:1 ratio, is bad manners at best, ignorant and foolish at worst.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 AM   #38
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am sure most current missionaries have never heard of him.

I served from 80-82 and never heard of the guy on my mission. Didn't know much about him until I visited the museum in Oslo a few years back.
You were right after me. You just thought you didn't know about his theories. Read the Wiki article I posted. He started all that stuff about aborigines thinking Europeans were white gods returning. If you showed Christ in America, Ancient America Speaks, etc., you were teaching stuff adapted from Hyerdahl.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:39 AM   #39
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You were right after me. You just thought you didn't know about his theories. Read the Wiki article I posted. He started all that stuff about aborigines thinking Europeans were white gods returning. If you showed Christ in America, Ancient America Speaks, etc., you were teaching stuff adapted from Hyerdahl.
Boy, are you on a roll lately. You said:

So the church missionary dept. rewrote the discussions based on his theories? And I was teaching those theories but was just too ignorant to know better?

Wow. And all this time I thought it came from the BOM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:45 AM   #40
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not sure what is meant by "true." For example, if I think Nephi fudges a little, but that Nephi existed, do I say that the Book of Nephi is true?
If you think he accidentally misses a number or two here or there, you'd pick the second one. If you think he has a tendency to tell the story in a way that promotes his agenda, it'd be the third. Your scenario sounds more like the third.