cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #111
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
It's not 'faith' per se, but the notion that if "heaven" is full of people with this attitude, I'm going to enjoy hell a lot more. It's not you personally, RB, but if this type of browbeating is THE WAY, I think I'd prefer a quiet life of agnosticism. I just find it extraordinary that these viewpoints can coexist within the same religious framework. Not impossible; just extraordinary.
Hey, I respect your viewpoint, and welcome your thoughts.

But if your basing your notions of heaven being full of Rocky's and whether you'd like to spend time there or not based on that, then you're a lot further on the fringe than I thought. It's sad that someone of ANY religion would think..."I just can't be a part of this church because I don't like this person" and why that should ever have anything to do with your own personal testimony. I apologize, but to me that's a thought process that smacks of a person desperately seeking a way out rather than discovering one's own testimony. It's always convenient to blame one's loss of faith and testimony on another individual. It's the easy way out.

I apologize for using a worn out cliche but the Gospel is a hell of a lot more true than I am. Just because you don't like my style or demeanor doesn't make the Gospel any less true.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 03-30-2007 at 01:17 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 AM   #112
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Guys, do we have to go there? Who among us would try to discern the judgment of the Almighty?

Romans 11:33
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!
You forget that Arch and his ilk actually think they are God.

I'll admit I judge others sometimes. I'm no saint there. Have never claimed to be.

EVERYONE JUDGES. Some more than others and I won't deny it's a weakness of mine that I need to work on, just like how everyone else also requires a long way to go in the department as well.

The "intellectuals" seem to think they deserve a "get out of Jail" free card when it comes to their arrogance.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 03-30-2007 at 01:14 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:32 AM   #113
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
It's sad that someone of ANY religion would think..."I just can't be a part of this church because I don't like this person"
I'm glad we agree here. I'm the first to admit I don't have a lot of faith - at least, "faith" in the traditional sense we learn about in Sunday School. I struggle with some issues, am stronger in others, but I agree that we can't get caught up in basing our membership on others who are in the same religion. The (LDS) gospel has a lot of good in it - more than I've found in any other religious tradition. I guess I'm a little touchy on what I see as extreme points of view (either in defense of or in attack on the church). It doesn't really have to do with you personally, but rather the time and place I grew up in. I do value your input and viewpoint, though.

Besides, I like your passion. Even if I don't agree with it in every case, I respect it. You definitely seem sincere - as much as I can gauge from staring at a computer screen.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #114
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm glad we agree here. I'm the first to admit I don't have a lot of faith - at least, "faith" in the traditional sense we learn about in Sunday School. I struggle with some issues, am stronger in others, but I agree that we can't get caught up in basing our membership on others who are in the same religion. The (LDS) gospel has a lot of good in it - more than I've found in any other religious tradition. I guess I'm a little touchy on what I see as extreme points of view (either in defense of or in attack on the church). It doesn't really have to do with you personally, but rather the time and place I grew up in. I do value your input and viewpoint, though.

Besides, I like your passion. Even if I don't agree with it in every case, I respect it. You definitely seem sincere - as much as I can gauge from staring at a computer screen.
The gospel tent is large enough for us all. All except for us arrogant intellectuals I suppose. I'm still chuckling that anyone would consider me such.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #115
RockyBalboa

Quote:

Thanks Solon. I appreciate your passion and viewpoints as well.

My coming to the defense of some apostles when they're disparaged by others on here and calling out others who have ulterior motives under the guise of gaining knowledge is labeled as being mullah-ish by some.

They read my opinions and automatically their ACLU gene kicks in and they think I'm trying to stifle free speech and thought. I'm not, but they're welcome to the wrong opinions.

If that's being a Mullah in their eyes, then I'm proud to be one.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 AM   #116
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Thanks Solon. I appreciate your passion and viewpoints as well.

My coming to the defense of some apostles when they're disparaged by others on here and calling out others who have ulterior motives under the guise of gaining knowledge is labeled as being mullah-ish by some.

They read my opinions and automatically their ACLU gene kicks in and they think I'm trying to stifle free speech and thought. I'm not, but they're welcome to the wrong opinions.

If that's being a Mullah in their eyes, then I'm proud to be one.
Loaded phrases. oh boy.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #117
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

"ACLU gene"? "stifle free speech"? LOL.

Keep it up. This is great stuff.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #118
RockyBalboa

Hey, it's not just the "intellectuals" that can rip off a condescending one-liner now and again.....