cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How old when you learned of polyandry by JS?
Before baptism? 1 2.17%
Before puberty or 14? 8 17.39%
Before 20? 7 15.22%
After 20 or after mission? 23 50.00%
After 30? 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #211
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Since we're talking about harrowing mission experiences, try riding a crowded subway during summer in Toronto, which is a very hot and humid place for a couple of months. Standing room only, European lady right in front of you, reaching for the overhead grab bar, the movement of the subway causing you to sway dangerously close to her underarm.

Traumatic.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #212
pittsburghcoug

pittsburghcoug is on a distinguished road
Default I know Richard Bushman.

You will not find a more spiritual or more devout member of the Church, unless it is President Hinckley. The one thing I can emphatically state about Brother Bushman is his sense of honor and honesty. If he wrote it in his book, it means that he did enough research to believe it to be true. His aim was not to destroy testimony by writing "Rough Stone Rolling" but to write an honest biography of Joseph Smith from a believer's perspective. The outcome is spectacular.

Tex, tread carefully in areas in which you do not have a lot of experience or knowledge. Did you know that Brother Bushman is the patriarch of the New York City stake and a former stake president? He is a very honorable man. If you have problems with what he has written, then I feel sorry for you. The facts are clear to me...Joseph did practice polyandry, and I personally think he went too far with the revelation. Does that diminish my testimony of him? No, it is easy to throw jabs from our 20/20 perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Richard Bushman, a member in good standing, and former Columbia professor, did everything he could to dilute it, but he was unable to deny the evidence. You attack him for sensationalizing, when it was just the opposite. He made it sound as boring as possible.

Good ole knee jerk reactions to works never perused by the Mex. By the way, I believe Mohammed's Sword of Islam needs a few more mullahs to behead infidels, you might wish to apply.
pittsburghcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #213
pittsburghcoug

pittsburghcoug is on a distinguished road
Default In addition....

The Church was very cooperative during the research and publication processes for Brother Bushman's book. That in and of itself is a remarkable breakthrough. He had total access to Church documents and resources. His book is also sold in Deseret Book. Perhaps, if scholars like Quinn and others who have been excommunicated would have operated under this paradigm, they would still be members in good standing. President Hinckley has changed the culture of the Church in more ways than we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghcoug View Post
You will not find a more spiritual or more devout member of the Church, unless it is President Hinckley. The one thing I can emphatically state about Brother Bushman is his sense of honor and honesty. If he wrote it in his book, it means that he did enough research to believe it to be true. His aim was not to destroy testimony by writing "Rough Stone Rolling" but to write an honest biography of Joseph Smith from a believer's perspective. The outcome is spectacular.

Tex, tread carefully in areas in which you do not have a lot of experience or knowledge. Did you know that Brother Bushman is the patriarch of the New York City stake and a former stake president? He is a very honorable man. If you have problems with what he has written, then I feel sorry for you. The facts are clear to me...Joseph did practice polyandry, and I personally think he went too far with the revelation. Does that diminish my testimony of him? No, it is easy to throw jabs from our 20/20 perspective.
pittsburghcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #214
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghcoug View Post

I'll make you a deal: I'll tread carefully if you'll read carefully.

I wasn't criticizing Bushman. I was criticizing a subset of the sycophantic Mormon intelligensia.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #215
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quinn and others opened up the door to talking about the tough issues, making Bushman's bio both possible and necessary.

If Bushman had been the first to write about Joseph sealing other men's wives, he would have been the first to have been excommunicated.
are you suggesting that Quinn was excommed for his writings? on what basis?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #216
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Joseph Smth was incarcerated, tarred and feathered, beaten and murdered. (In fact, some speculate that the reason he was hated by at least some groups was his marriage to young girls and the wives of other men). His life is replete with repercussions.

I don't believe immediate consequences always follow every sin, even serious ones. God had so much invested in Joseph by that time, letting him fall may not have been allowable.

Was the kingship removed from David?
I heard that the men who killed him were actually masons that were upset that Joseph had married one of their wives and had taken from their ceremony.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote