cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
that's the thing... He can take the sacrament. He is a home teacher. He just can't go to the temple. My bishop agrees that he should be reinstated and so does the stake president. Salt Lake is the only one holding up the process and they by nature of being 2000 miles away can't possibly know the full situation.
It means Salt Lake turned down the petition. If he's been waiting weeks or months, then maybe it's a paperwork issue. If it's more than that, then Salt Lake turned down the petition and told him to apply again after X years.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #22
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Pelagius, is there a carve-out for non-members who used to be members (i.e. the excommunicated)?
I didn't see anything. You can check here: http://www.provocation.net/chi/chi00.htm

P.S.

I am pretty sure the church sued over the handbook being on the net, but for whatever reason you can still find the 1998 version up.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It means Salt Lake turned down the petition. If he's been waiting weeks or months, then maybe it's a paperwork issue. If it's more than that, then Salt Lake turned down the petition and told him to apply again after X years.
if they turned it down, wouldn't they tell the SP so? Or would they make the decision but never communicate it?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You must have all heard the story of the apostle that was the only one who refused to let a man who had done much damage to the church (as the story goes) be rebaptized. But on the second time around, another apostle said something to him, or something happened (can't remember what) and he relented, and the message was about forgiveness.

One thing you can take away from the story is that it takes only one person to prevent you from returning.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You must have all heard the story of the apostle that was the only one who refused to let a man who had done much damage to the church (as the story goes) be rebaptized. But on the second time around, another apostle said something to him, or something happened (can't remember what) and he relented, and the message was about forgiveness.

One thing you can take away from the story is that it takes only one person to prevent you from returning.
I believe it was Heber J. Grant as a young apostle, but perhaps I err.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So when, if ever, should the church excommunicate someone?
In my opinion? I don't see any evidence for excommunication in ancient scripture--at least for sins of weakness and not apostacy. I see a lot of evidence for immediate repentance.

It's not for me to decide, but I would welcome a day when no one was ever excommunicated except for severe apostacy or for very serious sin where there is no desire to repent. That probably goes the same for disfellowshipping.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Even bishops and stake presidents wonder why decisions are made, and my limited experience is that no information is provided as for the reason for delays or for the reason for granting the petition. If both the stake president and bishop are on board, I fail to see the need for higher oversight.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #28
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well that kind of proves my point. You can be excommunicated and unrepentant and still living with your girfriend, or cheating with your secretary and STILL attend church.
I'm gonna wager that the number of cases this applies to has to be infinitely small.

Quote:
What would it take, for the person who quietly attends, to be forced to leave the grounds?
My guess is, if the person were a danger, or if his presence was a disruption, for example two ex-spouses living remaining in the same ward boundaries. The latter is one of the rare instances where the First Presidency will make a boundary exception.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #29
Borderline Divine

Borderline Divine
Default I've seen one way to keep "unwelcome" people away from church

When I was a child, my father had fallen into inactivity at a certain point. Mom and the kids continued to attend every week.

One Sunday, for some reason dad came along with us. In the foyer a brother walked up and said for all to hear "Wow, I thought the roof was going to cave in."

Dad wasn't x'd or even in trouble. But he pretty much x'd himself from that day on.

Now before the defendeers rush in, I realize that the actions of one stupid member do not speak for the church, or even the ward.

My point is someone asked above what it would take to physically remove an unwelcome person at a church meeting. I think it would take care of itself pretty easily, as few people wish to go where they are not wanted.
Borderline Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #30
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

It's not for me to decide, but I would welcome a day when no one was ever excommunicated except for severe apostacy or for very serious sin where there is no desire to repent. That probably goes the same for disfellowshipping.
Very serious sin meaning what?

A lot of unrepentant people are ex'd.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote