cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #21
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I'm embarrassed that you are embarrassed. This does not seem to be an issue over which one should get worked up.

I appreciate as well as anybody the importance of studying other versions of the bible. I would nevertheless recommend to all that your collective shock and horror would be better reserved for a rainier day than this.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Wow, that was almost like sticking your thumb to your nose with your fingers extended and wiggling and saying "it takes one to know one".

Excellent.
Indy: Exhibit B.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, you got me there.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Oh, right. I forgot you coined the term.
No, no, no. I'm pretty sure that was goatnapper. More evidence of his genius.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:08 AM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
But don't we already believe that the bible is imperfect to start with? Why not try to improve it? So what if some mistakes are made along the way? You seem to be saying, "We may not be perfect in our improvements, so let's not try to improve."

It seems an underlying issue may be that we don't dare follow such a path since we may make a mistake and that would indicate that not everything we do is directed by God.
Mmmm, no, I think there's just an aversion to using man-made processes to interpret the divine. Joseph Smith spent time studying other languages and versions to understand the Bible, but when he created the JST it was by revelation and revelation alone.

That's not to stay his studies didn't enlighten his mind, but he didn't claim the changes were made due to textual criticism.

Moreover, the rejection of publishing the JST as our standard (or something JST-like ... perhaps a fresh revision by the current prophet?) in this thread is pretty telling, IMO:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Nonsense. Why not use both? Isn't that how we got the KJV in the first place?
Quite simply, I think there are some sound logistical reasons. It's hard enough to get members to study their scriptures as it is. You really think outside of Cougarguard "intelligentsia" that the bulk of the church is going to acquire and study multiple versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
From the 1998 LDS Church Handbook
In case anyone's curious, I just checked and this language did not change in the 2006 version of the handbook.

Last edited by Tex; 09-06-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:02 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The Bible Dictionary was compiled prior to 1989. I'm not sure that this topic alone warrants the printing of a new edition.
I knew that the bible dictionary was completed before 1989. Was it around 1981 or so?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:04 AM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

by the way, Tex, I think it's pretty safe to say, that practically speaking, the church has rejected the JST.

Whether for practical reasons (so that we don't have a "different" Bible) or for other reasons, I don't know.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

well regardless of how you feel about other translations, I can tell you that Misquoting Jesus has really made me skeptical of the KJV. I grimace when I read quotes from general authorities justifying practices and beliefs using verses that, by all reasonable historical research, didn't exist.

I think when they do so, it is reasonable, and always there is a valuable point that is consistent with how I view the gospel (for example, I believe fasting is good, even if that phrase about fasting was never spoken by Jesus when casting out the evil spirits).

I'll probably never buy a quad again. I'll get a triple and take the NRSV. I'll keep my KJV for backup, because it is familiar and the topical guide and the like. There are times, for example, if you were reading the story of Christ's birth at Christmas, the KJV might be preferable.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 09-06-2007 at 03:23 AM. Reason: meant KJV, not JST
Old 09-06-2007, 02:54 AM   #29
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
well regardless of how you feel about other translations, I can tell you that Misquoting Jesus has really made me skeptical of the JST.
What's the problem with misquoting? When Jesus quoted the scriptures, he quoted the Septuagint, which had incorrect translations from the Hebrew Bible.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 AM   #30
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Didn't Elder McConkie write (or at least oversee the writing of) the Bible Dictionary?

If so, what in there doesn't embarrass you?
would you be bothered if in the new Bible Dictionary this statement about the KJV were taken out?

Last edited by BlueK; 09-06-2007 at 03:07 AM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote