cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you found out that the Golden Plates never existed, would you still be a Mormon?
Yes, the literalness of Joseph Smith's claims don't matter to me. 4 14.29%
Yes, but it would change the way I view the Church. 9 32.14%
No, I couldn't accept the Church as true in such a scenario. 10 35.71%
I'm not a Mormon. 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #101
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Haven't the Brethren made it clear that if the plates didn't exist, we have a free pass to leave and party?

I personally would have a hard time leaving, and it's not primarily because of social reasons (as is with CH Coug).

I've invested so much in this faith system, have gotten so much back, and have relied on the LDS God my entire life, I wouldn't know what to do if I left. There are other religions out there, but I don't know any that demands so much and offers so much in return.
Just to clarify, I'm not a Mormon by belief, and not a Mormon by practice. I'm really only a Mormon in a negative sense (meaning I feel no need to cut all ties or anything): by heritage, by sympathy, and by record. I feel no reason to leave, I like my Mormon neighbors, and would definitely join the EQ for moving people and providing service, things of that nature. Going to church, though, usually makes me want to puke, at least when the lessons are one big love-fest for so-called prophets and that's about it. So in on sense I already have left, just don't feel the need to separate from the culture completely. I wouldn't even mind having home teachers, so long as they can have an intelligent conversation about ethical topics with practical applications--no prophet worshiping allowed.

The reason I answered the poll the way I did was more on principle. I don't see the absolute continuity between LDS culture today and the charismatic experiences and claims of JS. AND simply the fact that I didn't feel like the third option was the best answer.

Last edited by Chapel-Hill-Coug; 09-15-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #102
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Everyone is entitled to their own views, of course.

Here is the thing that confuses me the most:

If the spirit testifies to people about spiritual truth, then why does "literalness" even matter to people? If someone has a testimony of spiritual truth that is based on spiritual experience, then why does it matter whether the Golden Plates physically existed or not?

I'm not wanting to be critical of others. This is an issue that I just don't understand.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #103
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
What about the part where one of the three witnesses wasn't able to get the vision that the other two were getting? I seem to recall something to this effect. "I saw the vision. You didn't see it? You must not be worthy if you didn't see what I saw. Keep trying."
Are you talking about Martin Harris? It's been a while since I read the story, but I believe that the four of them (Joseph and the Three) went out to pray and got no manifestation. Martin, feeling he was the cause, withdrew, and then Joseph and the remaining two saw the same vision.

Joseph then went to look for Martin, prayed with him, and Martin received the vision.

I could have minor details wrong, but I remember that was the gist. What about that is a problem?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote