cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And I thought you were trying to be nice to/ignore me.

The implication of "Link?" is that the assertion is bunk. IOW, she didn't say women don't do enough around the house, and there is no controversy (outside of CG).

"Link?" is much more succinct.
A link that backs up a personal opinion? Are you just wanting him to link to his own post that states that it is his opinion?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #32
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Since I'm a prime "offender", I often respond with "Link?" because someone makes a comment which implies they are basing it on something they have read or learned, rather than a off-the-cuff opinion; and rather than just make a quick response to what they've said, I prefer to read more on the subject before formulating a response.

EDIT: Sometimes, I also ask just to see if they aren't just full of crap when they claim something specific (i.e. not offered as opinion) but sounds too outlandish to be true.
So for this statement, "I think she had no idea that the things she was saying would be controversial," exactly what would you expect from a link?

Someone else's opinion that Sooner didn't think she knew what she was saying would be controversial? Or someone else's opinion that she didn't know what she was saying would be controversial? Wouldn't any such link also require yet another link to someone else's opinion? And exactly what would be the value of any of that?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #33
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Yes.
If all talks were approved ahead of time, the transcript of all talks would match exactly the published version in the Ensign, which is most certainly not the case.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #34
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
IMO, men generally aren't any good at cleaning anyway. Women do a better job at it, so they probably should be spearheading the efforts to make sure the home isn't turning into a dump.
Maybe men aren't any good at it because they don't get church lessons emphasizing how important it is for females to be house-cleaners.

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...ontentLocale=0

and

There's nothing wrong with having a clean house. It's probably not the most productive use of church instruction time, though. It's especially glaring that there is no equivalent lesson for young men. Apparently, the young men have more important things to learn.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #35
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Maybe men aren't any good at it because they don't get church lessons emphasizing how important it is for females to be house-cleaners.

and

There's nothing wrong with having a clean house. It's probably not the most productive use of church instruction time, though. It's especially glaring that there is no equivalent lesson for young men. Apparently, the young men have more important things to learn.
That bothers me too. Do men have no responsibility to clean or help around the house? It is certainly the implication. Fathers "who know" work, go home, and watch television. I am waiting for that talk from Mr. Beck.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 10-13-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #36
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
My problem with it is the whole "mothers who know" rhetoric.
After hearing the talk, this was the exact feeling I had. It wasn't until I went back and re-read the talk that I remembered that "mothers who know" was a tie in to Alma 56:48 ("Our mothers knew it"). I think I see what she was trying to do there, but I'm afraid it had the effect of leading folks to the logical conclusion that if one isn't doing things in exactly her prescribed manner then they are a mother who "doesn't know". I'm not sure that was her intention, but I can certainly see how people arrive at that conclusion.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #37
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post

and

Some of the Duty to God requirements for young men include making meals for the family and doing their own laundry. Lessons published by the church for young men include instruction to learn how to cook, clean, iron shirts, etc.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #38
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Some of the Duty to God requirements for young men include making meals for the family and doing their own laundry. Lessons published by the church for young men include instruction to learn how to cook, clean, iron shirts, etc.
But the reason given for males learning to cook, clean, and iron is mission prep, not marriage prep.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #39
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Still waiting to hear why I'm off-base on my actual criticism of Sis. Beck's talk. People on Mullah-central were very quick to condemn me, without actually addressing my criticism.

By the way, I think Cali and SteelBlue have put it much more clearly than I did. I completely endorse their posts.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #40
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
But the reason given for males learning to cook, clean, and iron is mission prep, not marriage prep.
That's kind of true. The Duty to God requirement is more of a life preparation thing, the lessons are usually specifically mission prep. That is a mistake, IMHO.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote