cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #21
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

I must say, that most of you are pretty out of touch with mainstream America. I found a poll on the MSNBC website that showed 61% of Americans think pajamas at school are inapropriate. I realize it's a non-scientific poll so who knows what the actual percentages are.

Who would thought that Cougar Guard would be such a hotbed of liberalism and permissiveness. Cougar Board, maybe, but not Cougar Guard.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9428590/
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #22
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
Why would my kid feel like an oddball because they're Mormon? Being LDS is awesome. Isn't it the non-mormons that feel like oddballs?
Wow just when I thought you might actually be serious.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 PM   #23
Burning Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Wow just when I thought you might actually be serious.

I live in a predominately LDS area and have predominately LDS friends and family.

This should not be interpreted to mean that I don't have close, non-LDS friends. I do.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #24
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I must say, that most of you are pretty out of touch with mainstream America. I found a poll on the MSNBC website that showed 61% of Americans think pajamas at school are inapropriate. I realize it's a non-scientific poll so who knows what the actual percentages are.

Who would thought that Cougar Guard would be such a hotbed of liberalism and permissiveness. Cougar Board, maybe, but not Cougar Guard.

DId you read the article? If so, you are obviously joking about this whole topic. If not, you should and then get a grip.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #25
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:

So in your world "inappropriate" means dangerously intimate? I guess any employer that requires his/her employees to dress in suits must do so only because anything less would make work seem like an orgy.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #26
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It may be the case that 61% of Americans find pajamas at school inappropriate, but I don't think their reasoning is the same as yours. My parents didn't let me wear pajamas at school, but it was because it looks bad and sloppy. They didn't want me portraying the image that I don't care.

You, on the other hand, believe that pajamas are going to corrupt your 5-year-old into thinking that pajamas mean you should have intimate relations with nonrelated males?
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #27
Burning Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
So in your world "inappropriate" means dangerously intimate? I guess any employer that requires his/her employees to dress in suits must do so only because anything less would make work seem like an orgy.
No, refer to the definition I posted of "intimate". Intimate refers to that which is familiar or close.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #28
Burning Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
It may be the case that 61% of Americans find pajamas at school inappropriate, but I don't think their reasoning is the same as yours. My parents didn't let me wear pajamas at school, but it was because it looks bad and sloppy. They didn't want me portraying the image that I don't care.

You, on the other hand, believe that pajamas are going to corrupt your 5-year-old into thinking that pajamas mean you should have intimate relations with nonrelated males?
I think there are several valid reasons to be against wearing pajamas at school. I don't want my daughter to have her boundaries lowered so that when she's 16 she thinks it's OK to hang out with guy friends or boyfriends while they are in their pajamas or underwear.

We're trying to teach her to be a lady and ladies do not wear pajamas to school or work or any other public place.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #29
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
No, refer to the definition I posted of "intimate". Intimate refers to that which is familiar or close.
This makes no sense, though. Why do you refer to pajamas as "intimate apparel" if you only are saying that it involves being familiar or close? Are you just saying you don't want her to associate pajamas with being around boys who aren't related to her in a casual way? And if that's what you want to say, what's the problem with that?

And am I crazy in construing "intimate apparel" to typically mean lingerie and the like?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #30
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
I think there are several valid reasons to be against wearing pajamas at school. I don't want my daughter to have her boundaries lowered so that when she's 16 she thinks it's OK to hang out with guy friends or boyfriends while they are in their pajamas or underwear.

We're trying to teach her to be a lady and ladies do not wear pajamas to school or work or any other public place.
There's a huge difference between pajamas and underwear! I don't understand how you consider them synonymous!