cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

These quotes are awesome because it deflates the mullahs like nothing else.

I mean, when someone says that the Brethren were very sorrowful that blacks were still not being allowed to have the priesthood by Jesus Christ himself, I only have to trot out the Delbert Stapely letter. Argument over.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #32
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
that comment is just about as laughable as those made by BY, Mark Peterson, McConkie, etc.

Laughable, ignorant, stupid - but certainly not offensive. But nice try.
You say the quotes shouldn't be offensive because they're old. Stupid defense. And defending racism makes you a racist.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #33
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
So you're not offended by ignorance, falsity, senselessness, worthlessness, stupidity, racism, sexism, hypocrisy, etc? If you saw a televised broadcast of the Tanners talking about how evil Mormons are you wouldn't be offended? You have a strange concept of what it means to be offended.
Is our church and its members accurately defined by these quotes? Is it an integral part of who we are now and how we treat our fellow man now?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey if you choose to take offense, that's your problem. I'm not going to let some ignorant comments made by some dude 125 years ago offend me. It simply isn't worth it.
While I'm not a big fan of presentist judgment of the past, the 1960s aren't exactly ancient history. The effects of these beliefs and comments continue to plague the LDS church. Whether or not you believe in the LDS church, the ideas espoused in these comments are extremely offensive - especially since contemporary LDS leaders have not made a serious effort to repudiate them. That's inarguable, whether or not you "choose" to be offended.

You admit that the comments are "ignorant," but that word seems too tame to me. Would you prefer to describe this list as "extraordinarily and disgustingly repugnant" instead of "offensive"?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #35
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Obviously one can choose not to be offended by something, but like Woot brought up that doesn't make a comment un-offensive. I'm not easily offended but much either, but I can't understand how a black or an American Indian or homosexual would feel about those comments.

If I try to put myself in the shoes of a black man or a homosexual, I would certainly look at those statements as moronic and coming from a bunch of buffoons, but I hope I wouldn't take offense. It wouldn't be worth it.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #36
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Is our church and its members accurately defined by these quotes? Is it an integral part of who we are now and how we treat our fellow man now?
Our past defines us, too. Maybe the past is less important than the present, but our racist past needs to be publicly denounced by Church leaders and also by the average member.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #37
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
You say the quotes shouldn't be offensive because they're old. Stupid defense. And defending racism makes you a racist.
Maybe you can show me where I've defended racism. I'm not seeing it or remembering it.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #38
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
That's not for me to say, but I assume there are at least a few people who tempered their ardor for the wisdom of the prophets after seeing how often they're dead wrong on basic moral issues. Some say that there is a significant amount of racism and sexism in the church, and there's no question there's a ton of anti-gay sentiment. Whether ignoring the heritage of your religion is wise is up to the individual, I reckon.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #39
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Maybe you can show me where I've defended racism. I'm not seeing it or remembering it.
You said that the quotes were ignorant. They are much more than ignorant. They're racist. That kind of euphemism is a blatant defense.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
that comment is just about as laughable as those made by BY, Mark Peterson, McConkie, etc.

Laughable, ignorant, stupid - but certainly not offensive. But nice try.
Let me ask you this, smoky: Is there anything that you would consider offensive? Anything? Give me an example.

Second question: Do you happen to be white?