cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, this didn't strike me as very spiritual, nor very loving. Merely courteous and formal, and frankly lacking any depth on a spirtual or intellectual level.
Lyndon wanted this to happen, and that was probably known by all parties from the outset, so this particular disciplinary council was really a formality and that's evident from the recordings.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #32
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
That's when the cracks really began to show: his bizarre rant against spiritual witnesses and his pathetic attempt to provide an alternative description.
I didn't think that rant was bizarre, he sounded exactly like my agnostic friends who love to tell me why a spiritual witness is worthless in a search for truth. His alternative description was indeed poor, but seemed to me to be evidence of his no longer finding any value in such a witness. I can't tell if he's moving on toward agnosticism or evangelicism as adherents of either find our spiritual witnesses to be of little worth.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Has the church ever officially denied JS's polyandry? I know they like to avoid the topic, but have they ever claimed it didn't happen?
Yes. In fact a prophet denied it. Joseph Smith.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #34
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Lyndon wanted this to happen, and that was probably known by all parties from the outset, so this particular disciplinary council was really a formality and that's evident from the recordings.
Probably true.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #35
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
He was exed at Nickelback and everyone in the room knew it.
That was all I needed to hear. They could have brought him in just for that and I'd have voted to ex him.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #36
SteelBlue

Quote:
I have to agree here. In fact I have to wonder if he didn't initiate the council himself. With the info we have, which obviously isn't everything, I don't know how he would have gotten there otherwise.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #37
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

In the 3rd clip he mentions he knows he wouldn't be able to keep from speaking up in church, and that it's a question of can they welcome him as a brother, or get a court order to keep him from going to church. Could the Church get such a court order?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #38
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I didn't detect a problem with anything I heard there. I didn't hear the SP attacking. I thought they were conversing as much as anything, and the SP actually gave him a lot of leeway to say he peace, which was apparently appreciated.

I don't see why this guy felt the need to get himself exed. My guess is that the church is full of people who think exactly as he does but aren't so proud as to presume to stand on a soap box and bash everyone with it. I thought the SP made a good point when he requested that this man show the same respect as if he had walked into the service of another faith.

I get reflexively irritated by the accusation that someone was looking for the door or an excuse to sin when someone shares unorthodox or apostate beliefs. That said, this guy was looking for the door. I would have had much more respect for him had he resigned his membership. Instead, he placed his leaders in a position that he knew was untenable. You can't show up at church every week and tell people the BOM is not true. It just isn't appropriate. If those are your convictions, fine. Take them and leave us in peace.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you really ask to be excommunicated? I know you can ask to no longer be a member.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #40
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Nickelback did him in. He was exed at Nickelback and everyone in the room knew it.
That made me LOL.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote