cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm just saying that I've never known any of these women.

There is one sister in College Station that is a professor. But I didn't know her very well.

The idea that masses of Mormon women are getting graduate education and pursuing careers at the expense of family is ridiculous, based on my experience.
Mormons are not much worse or better than most. Now Jewish women apparently get it en masse, but we're mid pack if I recall the Pew study results correctly.

Mormon women should seek these things and eventually will, as the culture changes.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #42
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

In my ward, we have female professor, lawyer, psychologist, business exec thinking off the top of my head. There is a minor small stay at home mom vs professional woman undercurrent, but that only pops up on occasion when the topic comes up. These women are highly respected and just as likely to serve in a visible calling than other women.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
In my ward, we have female professor, lawyer, psychologist, business exec thinking off the top of my head. There is a minor small stay at home mom vs professional woman undercurrent, but that only pops up on occasion when the topic comes up. These women are highly respected and just as likely to serve in a visible calling than other women.
you live in a college town in a well-off middle class white neighborhood that is predominately Mormon.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
you live in a college town in a well-off middle class white neighborhood that is predominately Mormon.
You could live in Plano or Richardson if you chose to. It's not his fault you want to prove the urban life is better.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #45
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

As SoonerCoug said earlier in the thread, and as Mike is saying now with his reliable citations to the Journal of Personally Observed Anecdotal Evidence, J. Beck's speech is a solution in search of a problem. Which is why the conclusion that it's just judgmental fingerpointing by one of those who were able to/chose to stay home so apt.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #46
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not saying it is typical. It was my contribution to the analysis of female work status and how they are treated.

I would guess that in Utah females that work are two types. 1. they do it not as a career but as a way to get out of the house and provide a little extra spending money or 2. they're serious about their education and career and are probably the same level in their career as their husband. Wild guess: 50/50 in each category.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #47
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In other words she is 100% convinced that she is right, with no room for those who disagree, and uses strident language. We call these people "mullahs". (note: label doesn't apply to me, despite the fact I am always right)
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...59&postcount=8

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember now: there is a female accountant in my ward. But I think she is pregnant, so the rubber is going to hit the road. Is she going to quit her job?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #49
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
As SoonerCoug said earlier in the thread, and as Mike is saying now with his reliable citations to the Journal of Personally Observed Anecdotal Evidence, J. Beck's speech is a solution in search of a problem. Which is why the conclusion that it's just judgmental fingerpointing by one of those who were able to/chose to stay home so apt.
I'm not sure this is true. I see plenty of two-person working families who seem to be doing it so they can stay in a really nice neighborhood or to pay for their boat, new car, etc.

Now I'm judging them, I guess.

But I'm sure these situations exist.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #50
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Give me two examples of my complaining

Quote:
You're the biggest complainer on this site, by the way.
I do complain about posters who b and m about everything the Church says or does.

Update: Mike, the chirp, chirp, chirp is deafening.

Last edited by exUte; 03-05-2008 at 03:53 PM.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote