cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Something that saddens me about many active members of the Chuch

including some who post here. That is the belief that God is not intimately involved in our daily lives, directs us in what to do, etc. The belief that he is more of a macro-manager (if that).

It's sad to me the blessings that are being left on the table by this attitude. Here is a great book on the subject:

http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=0179957
Old 04-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I'm happy for you to believe that, it also strengthens to believe he doesn't. It means I must strengthen myself to make it happen.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

FMCoug, there are some on this board that have said they have prayed and prayed asking for a manifestation of God in their lives, for revelation that the BoM is true, and that they have never received an answer.

What do you say to them?

I personally believe that God acts in different ways than what I can comprehend, and his ways are mysterious.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I personally believe that God acts in different ways than what I can comprehend, and his ways are mysterious.
The one way in which you and God are similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Although I'm happy for you to believe that, it also strengthens to believe he doesn't. It means I must strengthen myself to make it happen.
Sounds like leaning to thy own understanding to me.

The gospel is a nice marriage of "do it yourself" and "rely on the Lord." You're overemphasizing the former.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
FMCoug, there are some on this board that have said they have prayed and prayed asking for a manifestation of God in their lives, for revelation that the BoM is true, and that they have never received an answer.

What do you say to them?

This is a good point and I can only speak from personal experience. And it's true that one size does not fit all.

Perhaps those of us who are weaker are the ones who need the active involvement.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
This is a good point and I can only speak from personal experience. And it's true that one size does not fit all.

Perhaps those of us who are weaker are the ones who need the active involvement.
I am unable to discern his involvement. Perhaps some day he'll show it to me, but to date, I suppose I fall into the category of one the ones he's avoiding to let me fall on my face for his own entertainment.

That doesn't mean I don't wish to know the wiser course but admit I often do what seems the best hoping it is the wisest course. Why would he want to micromanage the lives of so many? It doesn't make sense. He has other things to do.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...0&postcount=81

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
And it's true that one size does not fit all.
You're saddened about many active members of the Church even though you admit it's not a one size fits all? Please understand I'm not attacking, just looking for clarification. I probably misunderstood you.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That doesn't mean I don't wish to know the wiser course but admit I often do what seems the best hoping it is the wisest course. Why would he want to micromanage the lives of so many? It doesn't make sense. He has other things to do.
I'm certainly not saying he directs us in EVERYTHING we do. Many / most of the time he expects us to use our own judgment. But there have been many times in my life I have received specific revelation on what to do, which may fly in the face of what my small mind would do, and by exercising faith and doing it anyway, I have been blessed for it.

As to the rest of it, I don't know. I can't intellectually explain it. I can only go by my own experiences.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I think there are two general trends which we simply can't fully appreciate:

1). How much God tries to get us to make our own decisions and act according to our own will, such that we can more fully develop and lay claim to the glory which he wishes that we have;

and 2.) How much he has done, especially behind the scenes, in order to make that happen, and to bring to pass that which we wish to accomplish in life.