cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ultimately most people decide if they like a way of life, a culture. It's like Sooner said once, it's like choosing ice cream. I feel sorry for those who can't stand the culture and plug along, trapped. Or maybe they are selecting what they see as the least distasteful of what they perceive as bad alternatives.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #32
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
This is a very interesting subject.

I think the church would really benefit from marketing itself to a wider audience than just those people who are willing to believe that it is 'the one true church on the face of the earth.'

There are masses of people out there who would benefit enormously from gospel teachings and the LDS lifestyle, but they will never be able to believe the authenticity of the Book of Mormon, or in the restoration of the priesthood keys. I think we would benefit greatly by figuring out a way for these masses to be 'members in full' without having to swallow the whole cow in one bite.

I realize there are plenty of closet apostates who are already in this situation, but that isn't what I am talking about. I also realize that such an ecumenical approach runs the risk of diluting our message, but so be it. I just see too much benefit from even the slightest exposure to Christ's gospel.
I wholeheartedly agree.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #33
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
The way you approach things clearly indicates you're interested in getting your points across via shockvalue and painting yourself as a victim and then you wonder why people react the way to you they do.
Who are these people you reference?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm, Mormon-lite won't work. If you haven't paid attention for the last, what 30 years, I will inform you that the Protestants have tried Protestant-lite. To disastrous results.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #35
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Umm, Mormon-lite won't work. If you haven't paid attention for the last, what 30 years, I will inform you that the Protestants have tried Protestant-lite. To disastrous results.
Temple Free Mormons. Positive or negative affect on growth in the church?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #36
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't think they tried Protestant-lite. What they did was change their stance on modernity; they became more accepting of the broader culture on issues like social and economic justice.

Interestingly, a similar stance has worked very well for black churches.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #37
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I don't think they tried Protestant-lite. What they did was change their stance on modernity; they became more accepting of the broader culture on issues like social and economic justice.

Interestingly, a similar stance has worked very well for black churches.
evangelical churches grow much faster than liberal churches.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #38
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
evangelical churches grow much faster than liberal churches.
Higher birth rates and a willingness to evangelize. The mainline churches know what they need to do to stabilize--get out there and proselyte. They haven't really done that in the U.S. since the 19th century, though.

I expect that some will get their game on and others won't.

They need to get back to "Lo here!" and "Lo there!"
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-30-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #39
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Higher birth rates and a willingness to evangelize. The mainline churches know what they need to do to stabilize--get out there and proselyte. They haven't really done that in the U.S. since the 19th century, though.

I expect that some will get their game on and others won't.

They need to get back to "Lo here!" and "Lo there!"
Don't you think a lack of evangelizing is inherent in the system in liberal protestantism? They don't evangelize because their pastors don't demand much from them.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #40
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Don't you think a lack of evangelizing is inherent in the system in liberal protestantism? They don't evangelize because their pastors don't demand much from them.
I don't think so. I think they don't proselyte because they've put so much effort into ecumenism (at least on the insitutional level), and that emphasis has shifted their thinking on missionary work. But they're often involved in any number of projects. Methodists run lots of soup kitchens and shelters. Presbyterians do service missions and donate supplies to places like Haiti. The liberal black churches are doing some of the best work in inner city America. Mainline protestants do more than they usually get credit for.

Not every member of the congregation is involved in these activities, but the idea that they just sit there fat and happy in the pews isn't accurate. Plenty have a strong work ethic when it comes to their religious lives, they've just channeled it elsewhere.

BTW, I like the little exchange we're having on this.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-30-2008 at 12:56 AM.