cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Darron Smith to be on RadioWest on Wed. 11am and 7pm MST

Darron Smith is one of the movers and shakers on the issue of blacks and the church, and he is the one that lit my fire on this issue. He showed me the way.

http://www.kuer.org/#radiowest%20schedule

I sent him the link from Lesson 31, Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3, about miscegenation. He did not know about it, and wasn't pleased with it. Nor am I. I wonder if he will mention it in the broadcast.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

To interpret that as anti-miscegenation is inaccurate. Anti-miscegenation has a connotation of being immoral and/or illegal. Neither is the case; unless you think President Kimball was saying that marrying someone of different educational background or social class is immoral and/or illegal.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 06-09-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
To interpret that as anti-miscegenation is inaccurate. Anti-miscegenation has a connotation of being immoral and/or illegal. Neither is the case; unless you think President Kimball was saying that marrying someone of different educational background or social class is immoral and/or illegal.
So Bob Jones University former prohibition on mixed race dating was not anti-miscegenation?

(I'm wonder how far you will bend backwards to accommodate your view that it isn't racist).
Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It doesn't have either of those connotations. It simply means against the marriage of people who are not of the same race. I agree it was not illegal.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So Bob Jones University former prohibition on mixed race dating was not anti-miscegenation?

(I'm wonder how far you will bend backwards to accommodate your view that it isn't racist).
WHAT? We're talking about a quote by President Kimball in the preisthood manual. That has NOTHING to do with Bob Jones.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
WHAT? We're talking about a quote by President Kimball in the preisthood manual. That has NOTHING to do with Bob Jones.
Ah, that's the thing. You don't see the connection between Bob Jones U.'s policy and the recommendation put forward by the church in the priesthood manual.

When there comes to be heat over this, the church will take it out. And that's what I am working towards.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Quote:

For you to isolate the racial component of what President Kimball said robs his comment of its true context. Why did he list those items? Because they were all "risk factors" in marriage that led to higher rates of divorce.

The MSNBC article you cited earlier documented that very fact.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't know if it is higher or not. I haven't read the study, and I've read elsewhere that the studies in this area are poor.

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy: because of racial differences you will fail. Problem is I don't buy the premise, and what I see is a lot of prejudice directed towards these kinds of couples making it that much tougher.

When can the church finally abandon racist ideology in its official literature? I am going to publish this FAR and WIDE.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Quote:
When can the church finally abandon racist ideology in its official literature? I am going to publish this FAR and WIDE.
When can the little boy stop crying "Wolf!"?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't know if it is higher or not. I haven't read the study, and I've read elsewhere that the studies in this area are poor.

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy: because of racial differences you will fail. Problem is I don't buy the premise, and what I see is a lot of prejudice directed towards these kinds of couples making it that much tougher.

I don't buy race bearing on success in marriage, but I do imagine cultural differences can impact success within a marriage.