cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't buy race bearing on success in marriage, but I do imagine cultural differences can impact success within a marriage.
Don't race differences usually equate to cultural differences?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Don't race differences usually equate to cultural differences?

If one is horribly sloppy in understanding them, one might make that unreasonable conclusion.

A black kid growing up in middle class Henderson will relate more readily to her white neighbors than to black kids in poor neighborhoods in SE LA.

Socioeconomic is the biggest predictor IMHO. Ethnic origin may or may not bear upon it, but that factor alone is too attenuated to be of any use. If you look at ABCs, second and third generation ABCs often have no relationship whatever to the culture of their ancestors and are more comfortable with WASPs than with ethnic Chinese.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If one is horribly sloppy in understanding them, one might make that unreasonable conclusion.

A black kid growing up in middle class Henderson will relate more readily to her white neighbors than to black kids in poor neighborhoods in SE LA.

Socioeconomic is the biggest predictor IMHO. Ethnic origin may or may not bear upon it, but that factor alone is too attenuated to be of any use. If you look at ABCs, second and third generation ABCs often have no relationship whatever to the culture of their ancestors and are more comfortable with WASPs than with ethnic Chinese.
And that's why President Kimball also made reference to socioeconomic status.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

For the two of three of you on this board who are pissed that the church is preaching anti-miscegengation, please email the officials that be:

Quote:
Your comments and suggestions about this book would be appreciated. Please submit them to Curriculum Planning, 50 East North Temple Street, Room 2420, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3220 USA. E-mail: cur-development@ldschurch.org

Please list your name, address, ward, and stake. Be sure to give the title of the book. Then offer your comments and suggestions about the book’s strengths and areas of potential improvement.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
For the two of three of you on this board who are pissed that the church is preaching anti-miscegengation, please email the officials that be:
Please be sure to paste the contents of your email to them on this forum and any response from them, if any.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If you wish to be excluded from leadership positions forever, here's your chance, Mike.

I might send an email suggestion as leadership positions, the few and minor ones I held are behind me.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I sent an email with my name, address, ward, and stake.

When I gave feedback on the LDS website, it was bounced to the stake, and I was contacted by the stake website administrator.

So it would not surprise me if a report of my complaint, suggestion is sent to my Stake President and Bishop. That's fine with me. I hope they read it, and send in their own complaint.

It's never wrong to do the right thing.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

It's obviously not cool in today's world to be for miscegenation. But I'll walk onto MW's land mine, for everyone else's entertainment, and so MW can have someone else to puff his chest at and call a racist.

Here's a larger issue and then I'll get to miscegenation. The larger issue is that church leaders used to speak out on a lot of issues: birth control, politics, how many kids to have, where to live, how to serve, what entertainment you should partake in, how to bury your dead, what to wear, etc, etc. Over time, times change and old church leaders look stupid, or people get offended, whatever. The tendency is to speak out on specific issues less and less. I think we're headed towards a very sanitized and pc (and boring) church leadership. It's probably a good thing.

So, while a prophet spoke on miscegenation 30 years ago and it's perpetuated in a priesthood manual, right or wrong, I'll bet it's on its way out and won't be mentioned much more, if ever again. It's simply not worth the hassle for the church to speak up on a non-salvation-affecting hot potato issue like that.

As a father, I'll counsel my children the way church leaders used to counsel the church, very specifically. I'll tell my daughters I believe their role is as mothers and though they should seek as much education as possible, they should view being a mother as their primary responsibility and a breadwinner as their husband's primary responsibility. I'll encourage my kids to only date members. I'll tell them what movies they can and can't watch. I'll tell them marriage is tough and they should focus on marrying someone with as much similar backgrounds and goals as possible, and race/culture is a key factor in that. I'll them what color shirt to wear to shirt and no flip flops and a sun dress are not OK for girls. I'll also teach them not to judge others, that this is what we decide for ourselves and we don't judge others who are different.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yes, Jay, it's not cool to be against miscegenation in today's world. It's also not cool to murder gays and lynch blacks.

It's called Progress.

I know I am in church with institutional racism. I have to deal with that. And speaking up to my fellow members as well as contacting the church itself is how I deal with it.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I think the quotation is in poor taste, probably racist by today's standards, but I highly doubt SWK is racist. I think he meant it as counsel, and any counsel with any real meaning has the possibility of offending people. If you're calling him racist, you also must call him elitist.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote