cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #41
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
My concerns are thousands of years old. I have Epicurus, Spinoza, Franklin, Paine, Einstein for starters on my side. Were they liars and possessing evil motive?
If you're going to claim that company, you ought to provide a link so we can read that these individuals hated religion in general and the LDS Church specifically as you do.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yikes! I am moving to Utah for a few months until this all blows over.
You are welcome to hang at my house. But I don't have the mtn., so you'd have to go to a sports bar to watch BYU games.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #43
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I have no plans on sending the email, simply because an email can be forwarded pretty easily. As Farmer Ted said in Sixteen Candles, "I can just see that thing getting duped a thousand times and winding up on cable somewhere...."

I told my wife that I would simply tell them face to face that I am not ready to participate at this time. If they want more info as to why, I will let them know. My guess is that they won't.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have no plans on sending the email, simply because an email can be forwarded pretty easily. As Farmer Ted said in Sixteen Candles, "I can just see that thing getting duped a thousand times and winding up on cable somewhere...."

I told my wife that I would simply tell them face to face that I am not ready to participate at this time. If they want more info as to why, I will let them know. My guess is that they won't.
half the people in my ward don't have email.

so it strikes me as awfully presumptuous to think that everyone in the stake will email. Must be awfully white and rich in your stake.

Maybe the stake should rely on text messages instead.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #45
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I would be less direct.

Don't send the email.

Don't respond. Just ignore and it will go away. That usually works for me. They know to only request money for local families, local kids on missions and none of the bigger stuff. I support the ward and not beyond that.

Do you want them to accumulate a database in case your child wanted to attend BYU and that child is forever excluded because you sent or responded nastily?

Being unavailable has its advantages.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Tell your stake president I will set up a poll on cougarguard for them. replies can be anonymous.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #47
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

First off, this is a very interesting thread. And just to add my two-cents, this whole political issue becoming a church issue really scares me and does make me question my testimony. NOT! The Church is made up of men, who rely on inspiration, but at the end of the day are still men. Humans who error, and are tempted and deal with the whole shebang like everyone else. It saddens me to think of this as being such a public issue, and I have never had to deal with politics in church until now (having only been LDS for 8 years) so maybe it's cuz I am from Oregon or you could just say hmmm, and individual?- But I wouldn't give money to the cause either, or guilt myself into feeling like I have to answer spiritually for my political beliefs. I will admit I would like to see the Church members not put this this issue up as their "latter-day Gettysburg" but like I said I am an individual. At the end of the day it's just me and HF who get to determine my standing. I trust that the Church agrees, too. I don't feel like I am gonna get ex'd for being non-sided when it comes to Prop 8.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #48
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
In priesthood opening exercises today, they asked for a show of hands from the priesthood (they also did it in the Relief Society) from all those who would commit to spend a Saturday morning going door-to-door in support of Prop 8. The ward clerk took a count.

I didn't raise my hand.

After the meeting, my father-in-law (who is in our ward - in fact, he was sitting next to me in priesthood opening exercises) said that one particular high priest in the ward, who my in-laws really dislike intensely - both he and his wife, in fact - commented that he was disturbed that not all the hands went up, and he questioned the testimony of anyone who didn't raise their hand.

My testimony's just fine, by the way.

The next 3-4 months are going to be a little interesting.
It was my understanding that all the Church was doing was encouraging its members to go out and vote their minds on the issue. Are they actually soliciting people to support Prop 8? We all know what the underlying intent is, but are they actually stating it?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #49
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
It was my understanding that all the Church was doing was encouraging its members to go out and vote their minds on the issue. Are they actually soliciting people to support Prop 8? We all know what the underlying intent is, but are they actually stating it?
Yeah, pretty much.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
they are asking people to put their money and time behind it. so yes. this is not a request to vote as your conscience dictates. It's an order to get in line.