cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Adam:
No, and I don't know that it would have been news to anyone if they had. What possible motivation would they have for sharing that in a temple prep class? I think a big purpose of the class is to drive home the seriousness of the covenants, not rattle people's faith.

Archaea:
The seven week course was ridiculously remedial. During my meetings with the bishop and stake president they both asked me what I thought of the temple prep course, and I told them both that I was very bored, and I felt that there was little to no new information communicated in the lessons. They both seemed very pleased with that response, and said that they don't want the class to be full of new information, it's supposed to be a review.

The high counselor's temple orientation meeting was perhaps the most useful. We spent an hour and a half digging around in the OT, and he had a little handout for me with all kinds of quotes from prophets and such about the purpose of the temple.

The temple was actually just about what I expected it to be. There was one part that was a bit unexpected, but after hearing things like "don't freak out" from the SP, I was just waiting for the animal sacrifices to start.

I thought the temple was great, can't wait to go back.

G's are horribly unattractive, and this fabric that my mother and sisters recommended...all other similar pairs are going straight back to Beehive clothing. I detest them. I'm sticking to the kind the roommate recommended.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Adam:
No, and I don't know that it would have been news to anyone if they had. What possible motivation would they have for sharing that in a temple prep class? I think a big purpose of the class is to drive home the seriousness of the covenants, not rattle people's faith.

Archaea:
The seven week course was ridiculously remedial. During my meetings with the bishop and stake president they both asked me what I thought of the temple prep course, and I told them both that I was very bored, and I felt that there was little to no new information communicated in the lessons. They both seemed very pleased with that response, and said that they don't want the class to be full of new information, it's supposed to be a review.

The high counselor's temple orientation meeting was perhaps the most useful. We spent an hour and a half digging around in the OT, and he had a little handout for me with all kinds of quotes from prophets and such about the purpose of the temple.

The temple was actually just about what I expected it to be. There was one part that was a bit unexpected, but after hearing things like "don't freak out" from the SP, I was just waiting for the animal sacrifices to start.

I thought the temple was great, can't wait to go back.

G's are horribly unattractive, and this fabric that my mother and sisters recommended...all other similar pairs are going straight back to Beehive clothing. I detest them. I'm sticking to the kind the roommate recommended.
I'm glad your reaction was basically positive.

In reality, if somebody such as Pelagius or SEIQ could convey to you the collective revelatory impact of the endowment ceremony in a meaningful fashion, you'd be surprised about the good stuff there, which almost nobody actually takes the time to instruct you on. As you reported the temple prep courses are horribly boring.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm glad your reaction was basically positive.

In reality, if somebody such as Pelagius or SEIQ could convey to you the collective revelatory impact of the endowment ceremony in a meaningful fashion, you'd be surprised about the good stuff there, which almost nobody actually takes the time to instruct you on. As you reported the temple prep courses are horribly boring.
Oh, they don't tell you jack about that. The instruction I received as to what anything in the temple really means was right along these lines:

There is a lot of symbolism in the temple. (Which was followed by an absurdly simplistic discussion about what symbols are...as in, they drew a stop sign on the board.)

...and that's pretty much it. The High Counselor was a little better. He made me rattle off all the symbolism I could think of in baptism, and then rustled up a few scriptures in the OT to go along with the discussion. I could have just skipped that temple prep class and just stuck with the temple orientation meeting and that would have been perfect.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Oh, they don't tell you jack about that. The instruction I received as to what anything in the temple really means was right along these lines:

There is a lot of symbolism in the temple. (Which was followed by an absurdly simplistic discussion about what symbols are...as in, they drew a stop sign on the board.)

...and that's pretty much it. The High Counselor was a little better. He made me rattle off all the symbolism I could think of in baptism, and then rustled up a few scriptures in the OT to go along with the discussion. I could have just skipped that temple prep class and just stuck with the temple orientation meeting and that would have been perfect.
The reaction you get is a little silly.

As a missionary, you can generally ask a GA any two questions about temple symbolism, but usually you can't think of intelligent enough questions due to your unfamiliarity with it.

The answer you get is, "until you receive personal revelation, we can't tell you."

How I usually translate it is, "you don't really understand and wish to conceal your ignorance."

There are lots of great stuff, organizational, symbolically and just in terms of peace. But most of your leaders are not temple scholars and probably know less than they are willing to admit. The temple presidents often have good insights and scholars often do.

First lesson: enjoy what you can.

Second, be ready ready to learn piece by piece.

Third, just listen to flows as it flows.

Fourth, as goofy as it sounds, study some of the Egyptian temple rituals, to gather what some think are related.

Overall, it can be a cleansing experience and one of peace.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The reaction you get is a little silly.

As a missionary, you can generally ask a GA any two questions about temple symbolism, but usually you can't think of intelligent enough questions due to your unfamiliarity with it.

The answer you get is, "until you receive personal revelation, we can't tell you."

How I usually translate it is, "you don't really understand and wish to conceal your ignorance."

There are lots of great stuff, organizational, symbolically and just in terms of peace. But most of your leaders are not temple scholars and probably know less than they are willing to admit. The temple presidents often have good insights and scholars often do.

First lesson: enjoy what you can.

Second, be ready ready to learn piece by piece.

Third, just listen to flows as it flows.

Fourth, as goofy as it sounds, study some of the Egyptian temple rituals, to gather what some think are related.

Overall, it can be a cleansing experience and one of peace.
I know fairlds.org gets a bad rap around here, and I don't know if it's deserved or not, but I think they do a good job discussing some of the interesting aspects of temple worship. They touch on some of these aspects Arch is talking about.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I know fairlds.org gets a bad rap around here, and I don't know if it's deserved or not, but I think they do a good job discussing some of the interesting aspects of temple worship.
you may be correct as it's been a long time since I reviewed their materials.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
BDB, congrats on this cool next step in your life. I am happy for you. Go to the temple often. It can be a great place for inspiration and/or comfort...at least that has been my experience.

One rule of thumb...when choosing ANY underwear, ask your peers, not your mother. Unless your mother is a sexy freaknik ward basketball/volleyball player, in which case, John and Paul were right....Your Mother Should Know!

Personally, I think women look hottest in the green military garments. Just one man's opinion.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
BDB, congrats on this cool next step in your life. I am happy for you. Go to the temple often. It can be a great place for inspiration and/or comfort...at least that has been my experience.

One rule of thumb...when choosing ANY underwear, ask your peers, not your mother. Unless your mother is a sexy freaknik ward basketball/volleyball player, in which case, John and Paul were right....Your Mother Should Know!

Personally, I think women look hottest in the green military garments. Just one man's opinion.
Women actually appear best in their wedding night version of them, those on the floor for the evening, but that's my personal opinion.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Women actually appear best in their wedding night version of them, those on the floor for the evening, but that's my personal opinion.
My wife didnt have military garments on our wedding night, but you may be right.

Also, dont just throw your garments on the floor, please.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats BDB. That is a great step and I am sure you will benefit from it.

While I am also nto sure if "don't freak out" would have been my words of choice, I was the first person in my family to go through the temple and I really wish someone had prepared me a ltitle more for it, as I have no idea whatsoever what to expect. So overpreparation is much better than under preparation, IMO.