cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does a sinful person receive inspiration?

There is a notion that a person must be worthy in order to be led by the spirit.
So why would a wicked person be "inspired" to suddenly go visit person X at a crucial point in time, or do abruptly discard Plan A and go with Plan B, and other examples that we've heard time and time again?

It seems that such an individual would be all the more confused as to what is right and what is wrong, if he has God at his side (so to speak) in times of doing wrong.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

What some people call inspiration, other people would simply call intuition or instinct. In the animal kingdom we frequently see animals being led by instinct to accomplish things that can't easily be explained. When salmon spawn and return to the exact same location every year, no one assumes that the salmon are receiving inspiration from God. Is it just our arrogance as humans that makes us think that God cares enough about us to continually lead us around and inspire us?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan

Last edited by non sequitur; 08-21-2008 at 07:07 PM.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
What some people call inspiration, other people would call in intuition or instinct. In the animal kingdom we frequently see animals being led by instinct to accomplish things that can't easily be explained. When salmon spawn and return to the exact same location every year, no one assumes that the salmon are receiving inspiration from God. Is it just our arrogance as humans that makes us think that God cares enough about us to continually lead us around and inspire us?
Is it arrogant to think that if I call my parents they will give me some guidance if I ask for it?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Is it arrogant to think that if I call my parents they will give me some guidance if I ask for it?
Only if your parents are omnipotent creators of universes.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
There is a notion that a person must be worthy in order to be led by the spirit.
So why would a wicked person be "inspired" to suddenly go visit person X at a crucial point in time, or do abruptly discard Plan A and go with Plan B, and other examples that we've heard time and time again?

It seems that such an individual would be all the more confused as to what is right and what is wrong, if he has God at his side (so to speak) in times of doing wrong.
Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm sick of fighting with everyone here. I am just trying to help.

I have some friendly advice for you because I feel you're not just throwing out a thread starter and you're being sincere. If you are just starting a discussion I apologize and carry on.

Here's my advice: I'd stop wasting a second cluttering your head with such nonsense. Just block it out; erase these thoughts. The issue you raise has not the remotest connection to how life and the cosmos really work. I challenge you to look at the world in a completely different way. It will set you free.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post

What is worthy? We all sin, that's a given. There is only one righteous. Only one that's worthy.

If you commit murder, are you unworthy of the spirit? Adultery? Stealing? Lying? Lusting? Anger? Withhold compliment? Miss your home teaching? Fantasize about watching NFL football while you're at church? Where do you draw the line at what makes you unworthy? It's a fool's (or Tex's) errand.

My observation of how the spirit works in my life and others:

The spirit's guidance is like a radio transmission--always on. I hear it when I tune in to it. No matter how unrighteous, if one desires it and seeks it, they will get it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Only if your parents are omnipotent creators of universes.
Where's the arrogance? To believe that a higher power is responsible for our existence and that he cares about us, or that after creating us and dropping us in a world mired in so much crap to believe that he would care enough to help us out?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Where's the arrogance? To believe that a higher power is responsible for our existence and that he cares about us, or that after creating us and dropping us in a world mired in so much crap to believe that he would care enough to help us out?

I personally feel to answer questions relating to our relationship with God by pointing out how we deal with our parents is the simplistic Sunday School and Primary approach.

While there are times when I wish I was still accepting of such simple and irrelevant for me, not saying how they should be for others, metaphors.

For instance I can't ask my parents a question and get a absolute answer, I can get their opinion. When they give advice and are wrong, I can tell them so and don't have to make up some reason as to why I asked the wrong question or didn't really hear what I thought they said.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What some people call inspiration, other people would simply call intuition or instinct. In the animal kingdom we frequently see animals being led by instinct to accomplish things that can't easily be explained. When salmon spawn and return to the exact same location every year, no one assumes that the salmon are receiving inspiration from God. Is it just our arrogance as humans that makes us think that God cares enough about us to continually lead us around and inspire us?
If God tells the Salmon to return to Capistrano, I am OK with that angle.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
non sequitur

Quote:
To an ant, you are God. But you don't give a crap about that ant and you never will. That ant can pray all day that you won't squash it, and that ant can have faith that you are benevolent and that you care about it, but you will never take an interest in the welfare of that ant, because it doesn't make sense that you would. So why would you assume that a God who is supposedly omnipotent would ever take an interest in your welfare? You honestly don't see the arrogance?