cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay
Default I was sort of baffled by the black guy that quoted John Taylor

he said there's a quote about how black people are here to represent Satan. What's that all about? I've never heard such a quote. Anyone else familiar with it? I can't fathom why he felt like that needed to be mentioned if it was true. Maybe so he could feel more persecuted? I thought for sure he was going to quote 1st edition Mormon Doctrine, but instead he came busting out with that one.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of hurtful things were said in the past about blacks, by Mormon authorities. Brigham Young, in particular, comes to mind.

Unfortunately, some of that mindset also existed among members. The priesthood ban was like proof that God didn't like blacks either. It justified racism.

It's not hard to imagine how this might cause great hurt.

I heard from a member of my ward, growing up, that when the 1978 priesthood revelation was announced, that full page ads were taken in Salt Lake papers by individuals in protest.

Personally, I thought the segment on blacks and the priesthood was VERY generous. It could have been much more critical than it was.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

There as a Ghanaian counselor in the bishopric in one of the wards I served in on my mission. He joined in 1975. He was a stud.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Darius Gray is one of the founders of the Genesis Group. He's a stand up guy who joined the Church before 1978. That John Taylor quote is bad. Sadly, there are plenty of other terrible quotes to choose from, some much more contemporary than President Taylor's.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think it's awesome that those folks started the church out there without any approval from authorities.

Can you imagine the reation in SLC? "We have entire congregations of blacks who call themselves LDS and Mormon. What are we going to do?"

Thankfully, no cease and desist order.

Thank God for Spencer W. Kimball.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
he said there's a quote about how black people are here to represent Satan. What's that all about? I've never heard such a quote. Anyone else familiar with it? I can't fathom why he felt like that needed to be mentioned if it was true. Maybe so he could feel more persecuted? I thought for sure he was going to quote 1st edition Mormon Doctrine, but instead he came busting out with that one.
I know that, but the particular quote that he referenced doesn't sound at all familiar. I don't think I've ever heard it. Anyone else heard it before?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Remember, he was probably interviewed for at least a couple of hours and they took the most sensational portion. The portion they used provided little context and the average person would be asking themselves why he is still a member. Darius Gray has done a lot of terrific work for the church and I don't believe he was trying to hurt the work, but rather to explain the progress that has been made. Unfortunately they didn't get to the progress part.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I know that, but the particular quote that he referenced doesn't sound at all familiar. I don't think I've ever heard it. Anyone else heard it before?
Not to interrupt your conversation with yourself (being single must suck!)....there have been many reasons given over the years justifying the policy. Let's say none of them are particularly favorable to blacks.

It became one of those things where we have a practice, let's figure out the doctrine.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Oh yes. I have a list of the worst quotes on race from Church leaders. Brigham Young, John Taylor, Joseph Fielding Smith, Mark E. Peterson, Bruce R. McConkie...
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Oh yes. I have a list of the worst quotes on race from Church leaders. Brigham Young, John Taylor, Joseph Fielding Smith, Mark E. Peterson, Bruce R. McConkie...
Does having such a list serve any real purpose?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote