cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is it ok (i.e. not a sin) for a missionary to masturbate on his/her mission?
yes it is ok 12 27.91%
no, it is not ok 31 72.09%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I disagree that it isn't interesting.

Because there is a fundamental question here:

Is there something to be gained in purposefully not masturbating?

Obviously some on here say "no". Others say "yes."
I think nearly 100% would agree there is something purposeful about not masturbating, at least if you're a believing LDS. But I think some people define sin as something that's really bad vs kinda bad.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:26 AM   #32
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds me of my friend's mission. His MP got up and said "We have a masturbation problem in this mission...and it isn't only the Elders." There were lots of looks towards the Sisters that day.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:28 AM   #33
danimal

MP's could spend their whole time managing confessions from masturbating missionaries. From the little insight I've had with MP's most have had a pretty lax attitude about it as it is inevitable that it will be a common problem.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:30 AM   #34
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
MP's could spend their whole time managing confessions from masturbating missionaries. From the little insight I've had with MP's most have had a pretty lax attitude about it as it is inevitable that it will be a common problem.

I think this is true of priesthood leaders in general. I remember it came up in a Bishopric meeting once. No names named of course but the Bishop was discussing temple attendance and a brother who wouldn't go because he felt so guilty about it. He said he told him "if you slip, tell the Lord you're sorry and go to the temple." I think a lot of members are much harder on themselves than the Lord will / would ever be.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:31 AM   #35
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My trainer would yell at me if my hands were under the covers as I went to sleep. He'd yell: "Elder! This mission has a problem with masturbation, and I don't want you becoming a part of it!" Then he'd get up in the morning and put metallica on and prance around the apartment naked and picking his nose. His favorite way to wake me up was by spreading his naked butt cheeks in my face at 6:30 AM.

I didn't mind the metallica part.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #36
danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
My trainer would yell at me if my hands were under the covers as I went to sleep. He'd yell: "Elder! This mission has a problem with masturbation, and I don't want you becoming a part of it!" Then he'd get up in the morning and put metallica on and prance around the apartment naked and picking his nose. His favorite way to wake me up was by spreading his naked butt cheeks in my face at 6:30 AM.

Waking someone up with your naked spread butt cheeks is by far the worse sin!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 AM   #37
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Waking someone up with your naked spread butt cheeks is by far the worse sin!

I think I would have beat the crap out of a companion who did that to me. Let's see, dude runs around naked, has a fixation on masturbating elders, and spreads his cheeks for you.

Nah, no latent problem there, right doc? :-S
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #38
danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I think I would have beat the crap out of a companion who did that to me. Let's see, dude runs around naked, has a fixation on masturbating elders, and spreads his cheeks for you.

Nah, no latent problem there, right doc? :-S
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Old 06-23-2007, 03:47 AM   #39
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
And you can build a bridge out of it...

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:54 AM   #40
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post

He had only been on his mission for 6 weeks when he was training me, and neither one of us spoke Russian very well, so it was a confusing time in so many ways.

Eventually I got promoted to AP, and when we went to visit his city he punched me in the gonads. My companion told the mission president on him, and he got a phone call from the president. Naturally, he assumed that I had been the one to tattle, and he relayed a message to me that he was going to inflict permanent damage next time.

Stories like this prove to me that the Church is true, when young men such as these are responsible for ~300,000 converts per year.

Too bad the conversion rate hasn't caught up with the world birth rate yet. So technically, Mormonism is shrinking as a percentage of the world population.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote