cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAzzuri View Post
Not that it matters, but wasn't Reden the culprit on one of those sacks? One of the unmentioned themes and IMO one of the keys of the game was a somewhat disappointing performance by the oline. We certainly didn't control the line of scrimmage for much of the game, though there were some flashes of brilliance. Aulai hurt us a few times with penalties as well.

I also think this may end up being like Arizona/ BC last year, the one that got away. I'm interested to see how we respond next week. I think we'll win, and I'm not sure it will even be close. I am more interested if the offense can produce clean, mistake free drives.
Redden and another backup (Willing?) were both identified as culprits. Why are we going so deep into our bench during the game? That's not normal is it? Were there injuries?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Redden and another backup (Willing?) were both identified as culprits. Why are we going so deep into our bench during the game? That's not normal is it? Were there injuries?
Reported that Reynolds tweaked his hammy on the INT return. So either he was out because of that, or his quickness was limited which probably played a part in him getting beat.

I thought that he was in on one of the sacks, although it might have been Redden as I couldn't read the name very clearly.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #13
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAzzuri View Post
Not that it matters, but wasn't Reden the culprit on one of those sacks? One of the unmentioned themes and IMO one of the keys of the game was a somewhat disappointing performance by the oline. We certainly didn't control the line of scrimmage for much of the game, though there were some flashes of brilliance. Aulai hurt us a few times with penalties as well.
I just rewatched the first 3 quarters. The announcers kept saying Reynolds but all the times the LT was beat it was either Willing or Redden. Where the hell was Reynolds? And if he was out, why the hell didn't they double up Davis?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You root for the wrong team, but I will say this:

Forza Italia!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:19 AM   #15
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Reynolds did get beat a single time all game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I think you should call it "Reynolds fumble" and not "Hall's fumble". Reynolds got worked by that All-American end of UCLA's. The speed rush from the outside killed us.
In fact, he dominated his man the whole time he was in there. The first sack was given up by RJ Willing, and the fumble was given up by Garrett Reden. I've seen Reynolds getting shredded on various messageboards, but it's not based in reality. Reynolds had a great game. If he doesn't get hurt, and replaced by Reden late in the 4th, we most likely win the game.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #16
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it was Reden and willing who were in during the sacks. Also Unga did not play because at the beginning of the game he missed a huge blitz pick up and Hall got nailed, then he missed another one but Hall was able to scramble away. We needed tonga and Fui in there for that purpose. Once the O-line figured out UCLAs defense and they started to control them a little more in the second half Unga was back in the game.

Austin Collie is as good as we have returning kicks, Mahuika sucks, i would like to see Pittman take a few but they kicked it to the other side every time.

Santiago sucks, you can argue the average all you want but his average was skewed by an 18 yard punt that bounced 40 more yards. He had a 56 yarder that never got higher than his linemans head. Also he had another punt about 48 yards that did the same thing. He is a horrible kicker and cost us at least 3 points if not 10.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Santiago sucks, you can argue the average all you want but his average was skewed by an 18 yard punt that bounced 40 more yards. He had a 56 yarder that never got higher than his linemans head. Also he had another punt about 48 yards that did the same thing. He is a horrible kicker and cost us at least 3 points if not 10.
Does anyone really care if it bounces and rolls 48 yards or if it goes 48 yards in the air? Sure, you can call it a lucky bounce that may or may not be there every time, but those slow rollers are not the ones that produce big returns. ON the contrary, those line drives are the ones that make me nervous, as it gives them plenty of time to set up a good return.

I'm not arguing with you, Santiago has sucked these past 2 weeks. I just think for whatever reason he was much more effective this week.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Bruce Davis is simply awesome.

1st round pick. Reminds me of a Dwight Freeney or Terrell Suggs clone.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Does anyone really care if it bounces and rolls 48 yards or if it goes 48 yards in the air? Sure, you can call it a lucky bounce that may or may not be there every time, but those slow rollers are not the ones that produce big returns. ON the contrary, those line drives are the ones that make me nervous, as it gives them plenty of time to set up a good return.

I'm not arguing with you, Santiago has sucked these past 2 weeks. I just think for whatever reason he was much more effective this week.
I wonder if the coaches ever saw him punt or saw his yards per kick average and he was the only punter they could get to qualify. Hopefully he will have us all eating our words eventually, but he doesn't seem capable off getting one of the those game changing ( field position change) punts off.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

The first half was impacted by field position, significantly tied to punting.