cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #11
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
WTF..... Utah a is not Texas when it comes to football talent but hell, give the state of Utah some credit. I think Utah is one of the most underrated states when it comes to high school football talent. There are some good players and some good teams in Utah.
Utah talent has gotten way better over the course of decade

Havilli and Katoa are proof

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 AM   #12
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Your strategy didn't work out too well for Coach Crowton.
We need some talent from Ohio!!!

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

For that matter, I would expect you'll find most D1 programs pull the majority of their talent from their home states.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
What the hell. I don't know about you guys but I feel that that number needs to be knocked way down. There are so many D1 calibre LDS players across the country that get overlooked or noticed at all by BYU. So whats the deal here? Texas, Florida and other football states are loaded with talent that gets overlooked, why not scour them before offering early to the locals? It's easy to stand out in Utah because the talent level is so thin here. That's all I got to say. WTF.
1. For a lot (most?) non-LDS players in Florida, Texas, etc, there is very little reason to come to BYU. Why would they?

2. I don't know if there's a lot of Talent in Texas that gets overlooked. You have schools like UT, A&M, and Oklahoma that battle over the first tier. Then you have a ton of schools like TCU, Central Florida, Tulsa, etc. etc. etc. who go after the second and third tier. If you are looking for a load of talent that doesn't get recruited, you aren't going to find it.

3. As has been stated before, this is common. Most teams recruit heavily from their geographic area.

4. As has been alluded to already, if BYU gets a lot of players in who don't understand the culture, you end up with mass suspensions and defections. The majority of people, by far, who understand the culture are in the West (Utah, CA, AZ).
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you put the recruiting restrictions in place that are in place, I am pleased that the number is only 60%.

Now is hardly the time to be questionning what Bronco is doing. Plenty of money rolling in and huge fireside attendance.

I personally think 2-3 years out if we are winning the conference, scheduling the way we have lately and playing a 4th to 5th place team in the Vegas Bowl, money coming in and fireside attendance will drop off. However, right now, all is well.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
What the hell. I don't know about you guys but I feel that that number needs to be knocked way down. There are so many D1 calibre LDS players across the country that get overlooked or noticed at all by BYU. So whats the deal here? Texas, Florida and other football states are loaded with talent that gets overlooked, why not scour them before offering early to the locals? It's easy to stand out in Utah because the talent level is so thin here. That's all I got to say. WTF.
I love posts like this... keep posting them so my thoughts that you are an idiot can be verified.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
When you put the recruiting restrictions in place that are in place, I am pleased that the number is only 60%.

Now is hardly the time to be questionning what Bronco is doing. Plenty of money rolling in and huge fireside attendance.

I personally think 2-3 years out if we are winning the conference, scheduling the way we have lately and playing a 4th to 5th place team in the Vegas Bowl, money coming in and fireside attendance will drop off. However, right now, all is well.
I certainly hope that in 2-3 years the Vegas Bowl will have been upgraded to a better-than-5th-place Pac10 team.

I don't know that there's much we can do about the scheduling, especially in just the 2-3 year time frame. Future schedules, according to nationalchamps.net (which is notorious for being wrong here & there) are listed below. We can hope that the MWC has some teams on the even-years home schedules that improve, but otherwise there's not much room for improving the schedule anytime soon.

@ Arizona State
Florida State
Utah State

Washington
@ Florida State
@ Utah State

@ Washington
@ Army
Arizona State
Utah State

Army
Washington
Utah State
@ Boise State

Boise State

@ Boise State

Boise State

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #18
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I certainly hope that in 2-3 years the Vegas Bowl will have been upgraded to a better-than-5th-place Pac10 team.

I don't know that there's much we can do about the scheduling, especially in just the 2-3 year time frame. Future schedules, according to nationalchamps.net (which is notorious for being wrong here & there) are listed below. We can hope that the MWC has some teams on the even-years home schedules that improve, but otherwise there's not much room for improving the schedule anytime soon.

@ Arizona State
Florida State
Utah State

Washington
@ Florida State
@ Utah State

@ Washington
@ Army
Arizona State
Utah State

Army
Washington
Utah State
@ Boise State

Boise State

@ Boise State

Boise State
I will look forward to seeing who shows up on the 2013-2015 schedules to get a sense of what they are thinking about for the future.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

@ Arizona State
Florida State
Utah State

Washington
@ Florida State
@ Utah State

@ Washington
@ Army
Arizona State
Utah State

Army
Washington
Utah State
@ Boise State

Boise State

@ Boise State

Boise State
I'm really interested to see what they do for the open slots for 09' and 10'.

I wonder if they schedule a home n home with someone or if they try to schedule 7 home games for 09' like they've done for 2012.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #20
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'm really interested to see what they do for the open slots for 09' and 10'.

I wonder if they schedule a home n home with someone or if they try to schedule 7 home games for 09' like they've done for 2012.
My guess is they'll try for a non-bcs league team, since they've got 2 bcs teams on the schedule already, and it should be easier to find a non-bcs team willing to play a home & home.

Think Tulsa or Nevada...